Mouse lag/delay with new system driving me crazy (Win 8.1 and 7)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slythas

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
I've posted about this a few times before about a some specific mouse delay "suspects", but of all the help I've received, nothing so far has helped me get rid of the input lag.

Before I upgraded to the new system, I ran hardware from 2008 with Windows Vista Ultimate, and it was mouse delay-free in most games (especially WoW, which I play the most). Now, with the new system and Windows 8.1 (and Win 7, bought it after trying Win 8.1, but it didn't completely fix the issue), there's a very noticeable delay in mouse-movement.

My System

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz
GPU: ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 4GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz CL11
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
PSU: Corsair RM850W

My OLD System

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
CPU: Intel Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 760 2GB (Borrowed from a friend two years ago)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB 1333MHz CL8
Storage: Samsung 32MB 7200RPM 1TB HDD
PSU: Corsair TX750W

When I say input lag I only mean mouse lag, or delay/sluggishness. whatever you want to call it. It feels like its a few miliseconds behind my hand-movement, which is insanely annoying. It's a constant both while working in Windows as well as in games.

It's not as bad during games with Fullscreen on, but it's still noticeable enough that playing isn't enjoyable. Windowed / Windows Fullscreen are terrible.

Basically, it feels like the computer has V-Sync enabled on fulltime.

I've googled, asked on forums, watched video tutorials. Nothing so far has helped me. I recently got this new system (with Windows 8.1) and the lag was terrible. WoW was unplayable, same with FPS games. It seems Microsoft's fix (KB:2908279) is already installed on my system. I've tried downloading it but I just get an error message saying it's not applicable to my system. I can't see it on the Installed Updates list on Windows Update.

I've tried adjusting the mouse pointer options, to no avail.

I applied the MarkC Windows 8.1 Mouse Acceleration Fix, and it only makes the mouse akward and slow. Atleast that's how I feel. (http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.co.nz/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html).

I've installed all the drivers for the motherboard (USB, Audio, VGA, Chipset, new BIOS), got the latest NVidia drivers, and I tried installing mouse drivers for the Logitech MX518 that I use (never had Logitech drivers for it before, just used Microsoft drivers). Doesn't help.

I've tried with a newer monitor that what I have myself. The new monitor is a BenQ 60Hz 1080P with 2ms. No difference. I also bought a brand new laser gaming mouse. No difference.

I'm beginning to suspect that some of my new hardware is causing this. I haven't tried running Vista on the new system as I don't have the install DVD anymore, so I'm still not ruling out software issues, namely Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Can the USB ports on the motherboard be faulty? Is it something else?

About Mouse Polling Rate. After trying the MouseMovementRecorder program, I see the mouse runs at 125Hz. Can that be why it feels like there's a delay? The fact it's NOT running at 1000Hz? And if so, does Vista let you run 1000Hz out of the box? Because I never had to "fix" anything about the mouse in Vista. It just worked 100% perfectly.

Also, something I read about a week ago. Can it be my RAM and CPU working at different speeds? Not being 1:1 with the FSB/DRAM frequency?

I will greatly appreciate ANY help anyone can give me. I'm about to lose my mind about all this. I feel like returning all the parts I've bought and buying new ones at a later time. It's beyond frustrating to have a 1500-2000$ system give me so much trouble.

Seba__

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

i got ddr3 hyperX rams, running at 1600mhz, (one is 1866hz working at 1600) I tried with only 4gb connected, the one at 1866 which is newer, didn't make any difference. Tried different windows, fresh installs, updating drivers, all kinds of bios/uefi settings. I play competitive so I know the basic things and it's not something it can be "configured" it's a major problem. In programs such a DPC latency I get really high spikes when playing, so it says there may be some conflict between drivers, but it doesn't make sense since I updated everything after that and didn't solve anything. When I type fast it doesn't feel fluid, and aiming with my mouse is hard cause it moves erraticaly, like different speeds depending on where i am moving the mouse to... of course this is only in my pc, it works fine in others (just fyi I got a steelseries sensei mouse, and a razer goliathus pad)

jtl999

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

HOLY SHIT. I got Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 RAM as well. Could that be the common factor? I had a ASUS R9 270X but swapped it for my GTX 560 and did a clean install of Windows, no difference. Been through 3 motherboards of various brands and even went to Z87 chipset. Still have lag even on Linux live CD after disabling mouse accel for accurate testing.

Currently using a Macbook Pro as my main system with no lag issues which has 16GB of ram running at DDR3-1333 I recall and a HM87 chipset.

Seba__

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

I don't think the mems are the problem, but tbh I have no idea. My problem is when I type fast in keyboard it's not responsive, and the mouse movement is awful, if I lift the mouse a little (steelseries sensei) instead of no reading it jumps all over, the movement makes no sense, and the sensitivity is slower than it should be at 6/11. I played in other computers with hyperX 1600 memo and it worked just fine. I have no idea anymore, anything I test, it still works like shit.

jtl999

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

I understand. Exact same issue here. Tested using Logitech G400, G402, Zowie FK1 mouse and obviously no change.

The memory is a common factor between both of our systems. Off the top of my head, specs are

• CPU: i5-4590
    GPU: happens with any GPU but GTX 560 and had R9 270X before
    Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A then Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H then Supermicro C7Z87
    RAM: HyperX 8GB DDR3-1866
    PSU: Seasonic M12II-620
    Storage: 240GB Intel 530 SSD along with 3x1TB WD Black's (no change with them disconnected I recall)
    Case: Corsair 750D (not that it matters)
    Monitor: ASUS VE278Q (never had input lag issues with it on another PC so we can rule that out)

jtl999

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
I use a 144hz monitor (BenQ XL2720Z) with my Macbook Pro I replaced my laggy system with :p

I'm thinking at this point it's the RAM or CPU, as I got a Z87 server board as a test and one of the 1866Mhz RAM sticks I had was running at a higher latency vs the other (2x4GB)

I also tried another Z97 board with the same issue.

Let's get down to the bottom of this. Or I'll just save some money and get skylake+DDR4 RAM and another GPU.

jtl999

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Just an update for you guys.

I swapped the RAM (Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1866) with some older Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 RAM and cleared CMOS and guess what?

The issue is gone! No more DPC latency spikes, mouse lag or ANYTHING! It feels like a whole new PC. Been dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu and it's stable, gone through 16 hours of prime95, etc.

I'm so happy I feel like crying.

Slythas

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

So all you did was change out the RAM basically? I have also been suspecting either the CPU or the RAM - mostly the CPU - so I may have to give this a shot then. Can RAM really have such an impact on the mouse? I just felt like the memory couldn't affect stuff like this, but if what you say is true, it seems it can.

Thank you for the information and I'm happy it worked out for you! I will get my hands on different memory and see if it'll fix it for me aswell.

Slythas

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Well I am glad it worked out for you! :)

I got hold of some old RAM from a friend to test with, and the results were the same. I'm starting to become fairly sure it's just newer hardware feeling different than older hardware and that I just have to train my muscle-memory for a different mouse-feel.

I still overshoot when trying to move the cursor from one corner to a button in the other, which I didn't do before. But I don't think I had the same level of issues that you guys've had/have, so I think I'm fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.