Mouse lags while video plays

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
My mouse lags whenever video or animated gifs etc are playing on my computer via browser or programs like VLC media player. This has only started recently in the last couple months. While this is happening my CPU/GPU usage is very very low so I know that's not the issue and the lag doesn't happen while playing video games or doing anything else.

I've tried reinstalling drivers Mouse/GPU and it didn't help. It seems like this issue started when the Windows 10 Patches were released for the meltdown/spectre exploits.

My system is as follows.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
i7-7700k @ 4500 across all cores
16GB Dominator Pro Platinum 2400 ram
Asus GTX 1080 OG8 @ 3180x2160
Boot Drive is 500GB Samsung Evo SSD
Data Drive is 4 x 3TB raid 10 array (Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM drives)
Mouse Logitech G700s using it wired, never wireless.

Any help is much appreciated.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
You definitely have the horse power to render video. You listed VLC Player as an example of software with this problem. Have you tried anything else like Windows Media Player or Media Player classic?

I don't think your GPU is responsible for decoding animated GIFs. It still might be worth reinstalling GPU drivers. I feel like that's a reach though.

Honestly, if you can't figure this problem out (it's not a problem I would want to live with), backup your important files on your storage drive and refresh Windows. This is obviously a last choice solution. Hopefully someone else has better advise.

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I reinstalled the GPU drivers with DDU in safe mode and that didn't help. I also ran sfc /VERIFYONLY and it found no problems. I tried several players including VLC, MP, MPC and Emby Theater also used several browsers, Chrome, Edge, IE and Firefox. A refresh on windows isn't really and option as I have way to many things that would need to be reinstalled and don't have the days to do it.... lol

Any other ideas? Could the mouse be sharing an IQ port with the GPU or something like that and be causing the problem? How could I even figure out if something like that is the problem? Again the mouse works fine everywhere else it just appears to be when a video is playing. It works fine in games at 4k like Rainbow 6 siege, CSGO, PUBG, Fortnight, Crossout, Rocket League etc etc etc