[SOLVED] Mouse or USB hub or W10 problem?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
New wired mouse first connected to PC via MB io and then via USB hub /switch later, is now starting to disconnect sometimes. This started just now, as I am writing this. Bought it a few weeks ago, and have been using it since, and it has been giving me no problems whatsoever, even when connected to USB hub two weeks ago. But today it seemed like it had disconnected (not even sure it was that), but it stopped working for two seconds, until windows set it up again, and asks me if I want to setup the device again.

Not sure how to go about troubleshooting this one to figure out, if it's Windows, the mouse, or the hub giving me problems. Any ideas on the order of the steps I should do?

Solution
Not sure how to go about troubleshooting this one to figure out, if it's Windows, the mouse, or the hub giving me problems. Any ideas on the order of the steps I should do?
Well - obviously try connecting it to pc directly (without any hubs).

If disconnect still happens, then mouse has a problem (damaged/worn out cable probably).
If no disconnect, then probably bad USB hub.

If disconnect still happens, then mouse has a problem (damaged/worn out cable probably).

Reactions: nbartolo7
Solution

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017

I got my answer a little differently. I noticed keyboard (which is also connected to hub) also disconnected when mouse did, so I'm pretty sure it's the usb switch. But, how can it be bad if I purchased it a few weeks ago and it hasn't given me any problems until today? Before sending it back and asking for a replacement, shouldn't I try a few other things? Restarting PC, tinkering with some windows settings, or something else?