mouse pointer gone haywire during startup

why one of my computers use to have this problem everytime when i stopped
using it for few days and the mouse pointer goes out of control during
startup after i reuse it back.To counter it i always restart it by pushing
on/off button again. sometime it needs to restart several times to put it in
order. any solutions would be appreciated? thanks.

"B&W801" <smteong@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message
> why one of my computers use to have this problem everytime when i stopped
> using it for few days and the mouse pointer goes out of control during
> startup after i reuse it back.To counter it i always restart it by pushing
> on/off button again. sometime it needs to restart several times to put it
in
> order. any solutions would be appreciated? thanks.

In addition to cquirke's comments, make sure you have the correct drivers
installed for your video adapter.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:49:38 +0800, "B&W801" <smteong@pc.jaring.my>

>why one of my computers use to have this problem everytime when i stopped
>using it for few days and the mouse pointer goes out of control during
>startup after i reuse it back.To counter it i always restart it by pushing
>on/off button again.

DON'T DO THAT. Shutdown properly, via the keyboard! Press the
following keyboard sequence: Ctl+Esc, Up, Enter, Enter.

>sometime it needs to restart several times to put it in order.

Check mouse cable, especially at both ends, and check for a switch on
the mouse to select MS vs. Mouse Systems mode (switch to MS).

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope