Mouse "scratches" against mouse pad

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I have a Gigabyte M6800 gaming mouse (it was pretty cheap) which I have owned for almost a year now. I've noticed that while dragging the mouse down (towards me) on a mouse pad, the mouse appears to "scratch" against the pad. The sensation, although subtle and probably harmless, is nonetheless very annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and how can I fix it? Or should I just purchase a new mouse?

Solution

I think I may have figured out the problem. The mouse wasn't actually scratching against the mouse pad. Instead, the rubber cable was creating friction between the lamp on my desktop which caused it to resonate and create tension. Seems pretty silly in hindsight. :D

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Look on the bottom of the mouse, there will be standoff pads in various places (usually in the corners). Inspect and make sure they are all in place. If they are worn or missing a fix is using PTFE tape and gluing to the bottom of the mouse (cheapest option to fix). If the pads are ok then inspect the mouse for defects on the botton.

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

I think I may have figured out the problem. The mouse wasn't actually scratching against the mouse pad. Instead, the rubber cable was creating friction between the lamp on my desktop which caused it to resonate and create tension. Seems pretty silly in hindsight. :D

Solution