Mouse suddenly starts to work slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamatniekss

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
Here's the deal. The mouse was working good all the time, but now it just suddenly starts to move really slowly. and I mean really. Like massive lag - 0.5 fps or something. It's so slow that it's not possible to do anything. Even if you wanted to move the mouse somewhere with that slowness it would be impossible, as the more you move it the slower it gets, and in the end it stops and even sometimes goes to different directions. When I remove the mouse from the surface and put it back on it works good for 2 sec and then slows down again. What's the cause of this? It can't be the mouse, because this is the 3rd mouse i've tried.. At first I thought it's batteries, but no, then i thought it's the mouse, but no... Now im thinking it has something to do with the laptop.. Messed up drivers? Motherboard faulty? Something with USB? The mouse signal gets intercepted? Or what?
After a restart it works fine for like 2-5 minutes and then slows down again. And if the laptop has been shut down for some time(For the night, for example) then it works good for like a few hours and the slowness comes back.

Oh and btw my specs
Dell inspiron 5537 15R laptop
Windows 7 64bit
8gb ram
Radeon HD 8850m + Intel HD 4400
intel i5-4200u
motherboard - Dell 03MV2R

Solution

Oh believe me, I've had my share of crappy mice that have only lasted like 2 weeks battery wise. A month or two is actually pretty good for mid-range quality mice, so don't feel too bad about it.

If you are interested in a mouse with a much longer life expectancy, I would consider trying out...

aamatniekss

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012

Yeah, it's a wireless usb one, but the battery isn't the problem. I've changed 3 batteries in the last 2 months.. And like 3 weeks ago I bought a Duracell one, so it can't be over already.

P.S i've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the usb drivers and mouse drivers, doesn't help.

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
So let me clarify the issue: your experiencing issues like the mouse will jump across the screen, like FPS lag? Or is it more like the mouse is out of batteries and is only occasionally working?

If it is the first, I would suggest opening up the task manager and looking under the performance window. Is your CPU being over-taxed by anything?

On a more simpler note, try blowing out the crevice where the laser or optical reader tracks your movements. Hair and dust may be interrupting the tracking process and causing the havoc. If you're not using a mouse pad, also, I would highly suggest it.

If your wireless USB receiver is on the back of the PC, try moving it to a front panel USB header if you have it, or, at least, try a different port. Also try bringing the mouse closer to your PC to see if it is a signal degradation issue.

Finally, I would suggest double checking your mouse settings. Go under the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse. Under the pointer options tab, ensure the speed is on the 6th setting from the left. Click apply and ok and see if that resolves the issue.

If none of these work, report back and we can try disabling mouse acceleration for you.

aamatniekss

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012

Thanks for the answer!
Well, it's more of like the mouse gets out of batteries, and it's working only for like 20 seconds when i turn on the pc. After the 20 seconds it just goes really, really, really slow. Like 1 pixel per second or something...
The CPU is not under a lot of stress, that's not the problem.
It's also not the dust or hair or anything. It's absolutely clean there, and i bought this mouse like a month ago, because i thought the last one was broken. But it's weird that the mouse was going all this month pretty fine, with a few occasional slow ups, but now it's like that all the time.
It's a laptop so there are usb ports only in the front. Tried the mouse on every single one including USB 3.0 ones. Doesn't help with either. And even when I put the mouse right next to the signal receiver it still doesn't work, so it's not about signal I guess.
The pointer speed doesn't change anything. The first 20 seconds it's still ok, as usual, and then slows down to ultra slow.
Maybe it could be the mouse acceleration! Because it feels like that a bit. The mouse is fast and then goes slower. And when I lift up the mouse and put it down again, it's fast again, and in few seconds it's ultra slow again. Just have to find out how to disable that acceleration..

P.S i looked at the task managers CPU performance again. At those 20 seconds when the mouse still works fine, the CPU goes to like 15% load, and when the mouse starts going slowly it goes down to 0-1% again. But I suppose that's not the problem, right? It's just normal to have some CPU load when moving mouse right?

EDIT:
Meh, just did this tutorial http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1953585/completely-turn-mouse-acceleration-windows.html to disable mouse acceleration. Didn't help at all.

ANOTHER EDIT:
Ok, messed around with the mouse for some more today. Did all kinds of 'fixes' I could find in google, but nothing helped. Then I decided to try new batteries again.. and weird - it's working all good now. Guess it was just the batteries. BUT I still don't understand how can Duracell batteries last only for a month in a mouse? 0.o This is the 4th battery now that im changing in 3-4months time. How is that possible? 0.o

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014

Oh believe me, I've had my share of crappy mice that have only lasted like 2 weeks battery wise. A month or two is actually pretty good for mid-range quality mice, so don't feel too bad about it.

If you are interested in a mouse with a much longer life expectancy, I would consider trying out the Logitech M510. I've used it for about a year now and have only had to replace the battery 2X in that whole time. You can get one for like 32 USD on ebay. It would be well worth the investment in the cost of batteries alone.

Solution

aamatniekss

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012

Hell, never thought that a mouse could drain batteries so bad.. :| Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably get the mouse, because I don't want to buy new batteries so often.. Plus in the long run the Logitech will definitely save me time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.