Mouser Sells Classic 6502 "Antique" Processor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
........My god, I think my sister may still have my old C=64 sitting in a box in a closette somewhere. Actually if anyone has an old C64 or c128 still laying around, or any of the Apple's that used it it could be an interesting upgrade.

But yeah, brings back memories. Remember just doing random programs to see what I could do with sprites and stuff, was only like 6 or 7 at the time though. You'd probably have a heart attack if you'd seen all the stuff for it we had though. Had the tape drive, the 1541 Dot Matrix Printer (aka buzzsaw), we ended up having 2 of the big 1571 floppy drives daisy chained together. Dear god those things were finicky and prone to getting out of head alignment. Think we had a print shop program that had to have GeOS 3 loaded in order to run. Think my favorite games to play on it were Gauntlet, Battle for Britain, Spitfire, and the summer and winter olympics games.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]If anyone still has one of these machines anywhere, it could be amusement well worth $6.95. I bet my local Department of Education probably still has some in service. A lot of their office computers still are green-and-black screens running DOS apps.On a side note: I kinda wish Technology and Education were more closely tied.[/citation]

You have no idea how much I agree with you in regards to wishing Technology and Education were more closely tied.

Especially now more than ever.

I cannot believe the amount of people who call themselves custom computer builders... yet doesnt even own or know how to use a simple mutlimeter... its causes me great concern. lol

mrsphex

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]If anyone still has one of these machines anywhere, it could be amusement well worth $6.95. I bet my local Department of Education probably still has some in service. A lot of their office computers still are green-and-black screens running DOS apps.On a side note: I kinda wish Technology and Education were more closely tied.[/citation]

At my highschool, students get laptops at 1:1 ratio. So at my school it does :p

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom] I kinda wish Technology and Education were more closely tied.[/citation]
Education technology is too tied to tenure.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]My first computer was a VIC-20, and I used to dream "If I only had that 8K ram expander, I'd be set - FOR LIFE!", a year later - I get the C=128 for Christmas, as I didn't want the breadbox old C64. But I did have to use my cassette TAPE drive for months. Since I was a kid, and worked at $3.75 an hour it took many many months to save enough to buy the $280 360k 5.25" Floppy Disc Drive!So when people COMPLAIN about the high prices of technology (which we are used to nowadays) - they don't know squat! I still have my 1571 drive, its bigger and much heavier than my ThinkPad.$400 iPad is expensive... blah!14Mhz 6502 CPU?! geez! Talk about serious upgrade for a C=64!But yeah, when Apple was buying 6502s for their APPLE IIs, they are buying them from C= This also allowed C= to sell their computers a bit cheaper since their made their own CPUs. The C=64 put the AppleII to shame. It was a lot cheaper ($600 vs $1200~$2500 depending on memory), it included upper and lower characters, sound and color graphics without requiring add-on cards. Ugh, Apple II was SOOO horrible compared to a C=. But Apple made the profits while the C= sold millions of more units (even at Toys R Us).And yes Hoofhearted, I remember the days of LOAD "*",8,1 - I don't miss them. But it was a neat time to learn a whole new era of inventions.I of course upgraded to the Amiga 1000 (7Mhz / 512K of RAM / 880k 3.5 floppy drive) which very quickly meant my C=128 was soon put in the closet. Back in 1986~87, the 2MB ram expander for my A1000 had a retail price of about $1600! I got mine used for $300, still have it and its HEAVIER than my ThinkPad, it can be used as a murder weapon. I still use my 1986 era C= 1802C RGB monitor for my video equipment... its the only CRT I still have left. This 12~13" monitor does 640x200 folks, 640x400 in flickering interlace, the picture was far better than a TV, but crap compared to a 60hz VGA screen... but back then, a VGA monitor was $600~1200.[/citation]

but they were all relativity new processes, un refined at least to to the extent they are now. the cost of tech now is so cheap because of all the advances we made in the processes, the transistors themselves dont cost much, its the wafer size that dwarfs the transistor cost.

if you want to compare now to back than its really hard, because formats dont make it to the consumer range till they are tested and proven... it would be like if we launched holo (sp) discs tomorrow to the consumer range. the process to make the drive would cost an absolute crap ton, and the discs would be unbelievably expensive too. with the tech today, we dont make those one up leaps any more because everything is now good enough, we don't make a 10tb drive because it would be cost prohibitive, though a 4tb drive is a far more reasonable price (though i do think we should make a 5.25 inch storage drive, just because how many of those 2 or 4 dvd bays ever get any use anymore?

G

10 rem *testing chipset
20 poke53281,0:poke53280,0:Forq=1to50:print"[q][q] Loadin...."
30 ifq=50thenq=a:nextq:q=0
40 print"[q][q][q][q] push a bottum to start the system cheq"
50 geta$:ifa$=""then50
60 end

A small program i can remmeber back in the days

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I once was planning a 50mhz to 100mhz discrete version of both chips but I never got around to making them.
By then then the IBM desktop format was taking off at full force.
I may still build them one day.
If, I get around to it before the parts required disappear for good !!!

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
This is the begining of the last post that got cut off .
I stiil have my Vic-20's and I loved programming those things.
But my favorite 8bit cpu was the 6809 and the CoCo with OS9 and a hard drive.
I believe Freescale had made a 16Mhz or 20Mhz vesion of that chip.
I once was planning a 50mhz to 100mhz discrete version of both chips but I never got around to making them.
By then then the IBM desktop format was taking off at full force.
My version would have blown away the IBM desktops of the day
I may still build them one day.
If, I get around to it before the parts required disappear for good !!!

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]On a side note: I kinda wish Technology and Education were more closely tied.[/citation]

We had apple IIs when I was in Junior high, but we learned to type on manual typewriters :)

I think we have the technology in the schools, but our Educational system is so far behind that are not doing a whole lot with it. We learn to use them a little bit, learn a little about how they work and nothing real practical.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]bill Oawney[/nom]Will it run Radar Rat Race?[/citation]

Yes but will not have musak!

Rather get a SID and listen to the Lazy Jones theme. Or kill Kraftwerk choking them with it.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
OK, - what will it get you - 8 bit at 14 is still enough to provide monitoring for a sefety circuit or basic controller tasks today. all it has to do is read a value form a sensor and report it out to another device,..just becuase they used it as a main processor then does not mean you have to now..
as long as you dont need pretty pictures there are still a lot of tasks it is good for. and this is one time that the large size is in its favor- you can get at it to make customer boards for specific tasks, where the really micro newer versions are a lot harder to work with, and more sensative to power and environmental issues where this old school stuff will work pretty much anywhere anytime.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

You're a bit of a dbag aren't you. The question is entirely valid. Most of the posts on here are "I remember back in the day....". To use one of these chips, someone would have to dredge up an old system from 30 years ago, which might be the last time most of the people posting on here have touched one. If they found one, does it work and what would it take to get it running if it doesn't? Then what, program in an old code to do what? Run Oregan Trail? Or is it just to say you have one? Most people would probably get one up and running, tinker around on it for a few days and put the thing back in the closet.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]biscuitasylum[/nom]Your comment kinda explains your IQ. Not that high, is it. lol[/citation]
C'mon, people will buy these with great expectation of what cool retro stuff they can do with it, but we all know for most of them it will just sit in a drawer and never be used. Much like the Chumby or most of the other 'do stuff yourself' kit things.

gw1

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
How does this compare to my collection of 8088's and 86?
It runs the Sieve of Isosthenes benchmark faster than an 8MHz 8086. The 8086's interrupt latency is over ten times as slow as this 65c02's is. In fact, the very fastest 65c02's, which are the processor core at the heart of one of WDC's licensees' custom IC, runs at over 200MHz and has a 35ns interrupt sequence (max 70ns latency including finishing up the instruction that was running when the interrupt hit). Try that with with a Pentium IV running Windoze! Even today, PIC16 microcontrollers are very popular, but I can tell you from plenty of experience programming them for our products that they take approximately twice as many instructions and twice as many clocks as the 65c02 to do a given job, if the PIC can do it at all. Today hundreds of millions of 65c02's are being produced every year, but they're rather invisible because they're at the heart of custom ICs used in control applications, not high-profile products like desktop PCs. One thing that makes the 65c02 so great for hobbyist builders though is the very simple bus structure that lets you get good results without being a computer scientist. Anyone interested should come on over to forum dot 6502 dot org. (Note: We absolutely do not tolerate spamers.) The 65816 is the next step up in performance, and for many applications, actually easier to program than the 6502. It is definitely much better suited for relocatable code, multitasking, higher-level languages, etc..

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]lightbulbsocket[/nom]No. The question is, will it run Oregon Trail?!I wonder what kind of effect those 13 extra MHz would have on one of those old systems. I wonder if it would have an effect like overclocking.[/citation]
My wife freaked the first time I ran Oregon Trail, (apple IIe version) and she was the first person to bite the dust on the trail. Apparently her school didn't do computers at all. Then again genuine apple 2's didn't have quick save/load from memory either.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
And purchasing one of these will achieve what...?

Just do a search and you will find that there are tons of project for these old CPU. They are still quite popular with DIY electronics enthousiasts. They're cheap, relatively easy to program, don't need sophisticated motherboard or PSU (many can be plug in a breadboard and run on batteries), but still powerful enough for any home electronic project. You don't need an i7 to control blinking LED...

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Add a $20 Xiling Programable array and have a full C64;Apple or Atari retro machine with Usb ports for keyboard and joysticks.The libraries for the periferical chips are aviable and debugged to perfection years ago.

I would buy one just to play "The Last V8". Nowdays games look beautiful but are retarded with unlimited saves/checkpoints.Back then you only have 5 lives.

Crysis is for pussies.

G

The games on the C64 were awesome! Jumpman Jr., Spy vs Spy, ChopLifter, Forbidden Forest, Zork!, Elevator Action, Olympic Games (Summer & Winter), ...the list is endless.

I would give anything to get a real one to play on my TV.

Fusion777

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
p.s. sorry for the double post, but these comments bring back great memories...
Amigas... call -151....
Oh Merlin Assembler, I fondly miss you.........
Hayden Compiler... with so much promise
FP... INT......

Status
Not open for further replies.