"Move" command can't move folder, because access is denied

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Problem: I can move this folder by myself and i'm not trying to move this folder to another partition or drive. This folder can be moved with "Move" command if i move it by myself first. Also, other folders that are in the same folder as problematic one can be moved without any problems. PS: Move command from command prompt.

Solution

Ok, then the answer is simple, it's user error with the files still being in use. Pretty much no reason to use the move command anyway, just do a normal cut paste (internally uses robocopy now) and don't waste more time on the issue.
Let me guess, you're trying to move your profile folders to another drive? If so, you're doing it all wrong and will cause major issues later on. If its not your profile, the two most common reasons are:
1) You're still using a file from that folder
2) You don't have move privileges for that folder and need to start up an administrator command prompt

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

Well, i'm not trying to move it to another drive, and i've tried to run as administrator.

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

It- folder. That's the command i'm using to move it. "move /-Y "C:\Folder1\Subfolder1" "C:\Folder2\folder" >nul"

Again, WHAT ARE YOU TRANSFERRING? If it's program files, Windows, or your profile, forget it, it won't work. If it's your personal files in non-restricted places, then the reason you can't move it is that something is currently being used.

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

I just simple folder that i've created. It doesn't contain any system files. And i'm sure that's nothing is using it

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

I'll try that later, because for now i've temporarily fixed it. Batch file move that folder into new location and back after i'll launch it again. If i'll move it by myself to needed location, then problem will be fixed for some time. After i need to do that again. If i move it somewhere else, then problem will not disappear.

Did you make sure to disable AV and indexing in those folders?

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

AV indexing? I didn't found that thing

AV= anti-virus
indexing = search indexing

and = not optional unity operator

Basically, something is using the files you want to move, and those two programs are the most likely since every win 8+ system has them

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

For anti-virus i'm using windows defender. Next time when this happens, i'll check and write here

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

Didn't work, but now next problem: access denied to all files

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

Copy and robocopy work without any problem.

Ok, then the answer is simple, it's user error with the files still being in use. Pretty much no reason to use the move command anyway, just do a normal cut paste (internally uses robocopy now) and don't waste more time on the issue.

Solution

Di1997

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

I'll choose your answer as solution, but before that i've found out that explorer.exe have been using that folder (Windows 10, Quick access used that folder). Is here any way to prevent that windows will create quick access for that folder?

Just disable automatic quick access addition in the folder options. If you want to be safe you can disable search and jump lists too.