Move old hdd to a new pc

johanwalker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I will build a new pc to reduce cost i want to use my old 1TB HDD. I will use Windows 10( If i want to use Windows 7 can i get it for free now?). My OS will be on my new SSD, I want to keep some documents, movies and offline games(just the iso file) could i do that or i have to clean everything on my HDD, what about my old OS Windows 7 on my HDD do i need to delete it?

Solution
Don't be confused. This is not rocket science (as the saying goes)...

After you install the Win 10 OS on the SSD (following the instructions I provided you above) and you confirm that the system boots and functions problem-free, you'll then install the HDD that you disconnected. At that point the HDD will be your secondary drive.

You can then delete the Win 7 OS from the secondary drive. It's not essential but it will gain you more disk-space on that drive. NOW YOU WILL BE DELETING THAT OS FROM THE SECONDARY DRIVE, NOT YOUR C: DRIVE. YOU ACCESS THE FILES ON THE SECONDARY DRIVE THAT DRIVE MIGHT BEAR THE DRIVE LETTER D: or E: or F:, etc., etc.. ALL OTHER FILES, PROGRAMS, AND OTHER DATA CURRENTLY ON THAT NOW-SECONDARY DRIVE WILL STILL BE...

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
You have a couple of options:

1. Image the old drive to the SSD via Macrium or Easus for example. The once completed, swap out the drives
2. Complete new fresh reinstall of the OS.

Once either two are completed, you should then format the old drive

Please note that you may need to reactivate the OS since you are upgrading the hardware from old to new. Please ensure you have the original OS on hand.

1. If I properly understand your objectives...you want to install Win 10 on your new SSD. So that calls for a fresh install of that OS. And no, it won't be free since you need a new license to activate the Win 10 OS. So there's NO reason to clone the contents of your old HDD containing the Win 7 OS over to the SSD.
Incidentally, should it be practical, disconnect the 1 TB HDD from the system during the installation of the Win 10 OS; it's not crucial but it's advisable. Also, again if practical, connect the SSD to your motherboard's first SATA data connector (usually SATA 0 or SATA 1) before undertaking the Win 10 install.

2. Once you do that and have a bootable functional Win 10 system, your 1 TB HDD can serve as a secondary HDD. You will likely need to reinstall your programs on the HDD or on the SSD if you want some of those programs residing on the SSD. Obviously that will depend on the size of the SSD you're planning to purchase.

3. It would be best if you would delete the Win 7 OS on your HDD (assuming you have no need for that OS) since that will free up disk-space you could probably put to better use.

johanwalker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
So I will put SSD first to install Win 10. Then I will put HDD in but should i delete Win 7 before I put HDD in new case or after?(I'm confused if put 2 OS in maybe something happen). To delete Win 7 I just need to format Disk C right? and keep what files i need into another Disk (example Disk D).

Don't be confused. This is not rocket science (as the saying goes)...

After you install the Win 10 OS on the SSD (following the instructions I provided you above) and you confirm that the system boots and functions problem-free, you'll then install the HDD that you disconnected. At that point the HDD will be your secondary drive.

You can then delete the Win 7 OS from the secondary drive. It's not essential but it will gain you more disk-space on that drive. NOW YOU WILL BE DELETING THAT OS FROM THE SECONDARY DRIVE, NOT YOUR C: DRIVE. YOU ACCESS THE FILES ON THE SECONDARY DRIVE THAT DRIVE MIGHT BEAR THE DRIVE LETTER D: or E: or F:, etc., etc.. ALL OTHER FILES, PROGRAMS, AND OTHER DATA CURRENTLY ON THAT NOW-SECONDARY DRIVE WILL STILL BE THERE UNLESS YOU DELETE THEM. YOU DO NOT FORMAT THAT DISK UNLESS YOU WANT A DRIVE EMPTY OF DATA.

Please follow the instructions I previously provided you.

Solution

johanwalker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Ok thank you, because I never have secondary drive so i don't know how my computer looks like when it has two drives. At least i know that Win 7 will be just a folder and i could delete it.