[SOLVED] move only the Windows 10 to a new SSD

jdelapp

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
Is there a way to move only the Windows 10 OS to a new SSD and keep all the apps and data on the original SSD intact. I just want the OS on it's own seperate drive and would love to keep the system the way it is. I have it set perfectly and would hate to have to go through all the trouble of reinstalling and adjusting all the settings again.

New Windows 10 only = 256 WD Blue 570 SSD
Current = 1 TB Intel 660 SSD

Solution
Is there a way to move only the Windows 10 OS to a new SSD and keep all the apps and data on the original SSD intact. I just want the OS on it's own seperate drive and would love to keep the system the way it is. I have it set perfectly and would hate to have to go through all the trouble of reinstalling and adjusting all the settings again.

As Lafong states, you can try this, but it's unbelievably janky. I wouldn't even bother trying since the likely result is you'll just need to reinstall Windows 10 anyway, resulting in a lot of frustration for nothing. A Windows OS install is only designed to be modular if it's a very specific type of install...
There are imaging applications that will ALLEGEDLY let you do that.

Imaging normally is on a partition by partition basis. Everything on a partition or nothing from a partition. All or none.

These applications are said to let you choose certain files and folders from within a partition.

I don't know how well they work in actual practice. I would be suspicious.

Not sure, but I think some of Aomei's programs are supposed to do this.

You have to take a leap of faith.....how much hairpulling and how many hours are you willing to endure before you give up on the idea.

Might work first time. Might never work. All you can do is try and be prepared to fold your tent at some point.

What's the over-riding reason you want Windows and apps on different drives?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

As Lafong states, you can try this, but it's unbelievably janky. I wouldn't even bother trying since the likely result is you'll just need to reinstall Windows 10 anyway, resulting in a lot of frustration for nothing. A Windows OS install is only designed to be modular if it's a very specific type of install, which you wouldn't have unless you sought it out.

Solution