Move Over AMD Catalyst, Radeon Software Crimson Is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biscuit42

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
"AMD said that when a level is loaded subsequent times,..."

Great! That's going to make my Fallout 4 reloads so much faster after I drop a nuke grenade on my foot instead of tossing it. :)

Alex Mar

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Superb trick with the software, quite useful actually. Now... AMD? are you there? Get new cards (based on fury x, not this 3xx hd 7970 evolution) on the market pronto!

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Don't expect to see any HBM cards in the lower tiers any time soon.
There's still at least one more generation of GDDR5 cards to come. Likely a brand new architecture, but not likely to be based on Fury X.

MaCk0y

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Definitely an improvement,

1. The interface loads instantly. Even on an SSD, the CCC used to take 3 seconds to load. :)
2. Wider range for FRTC than before.
3. Automatically detects and lists games and 3D applications profiles (for the most part)
4. Per application overclocking
5. Changing temperature in or enabling and disabling f.lux is smooth, fast and does not take tons of CPU usage as before.

One issue is overclock does not save. After restart, I have to apply overclock again unless I am doing something wrong. Same thing as before with CCC. Unless this is by design.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

That's curious behaviour. I'll see if I can replicate that on the test bench.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
"AMD said its engineers built Radeon Software Crimson in the Qt software development framework, which allowed the company to eliminate the need for Microsoft's .Net framework."

This alone would have made my day. One of the reasons I've always stayed away from AMD graphics cards was the appalling Catalyst control panel. If AMD fixes their lackluster OpenGL support for older games like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, my next graphics card will most certainly be an AMD card. I've been using NVIDIA graphics cards only for over 10 years, but now that NVIDIA has been releasing one messy driver after another, maybe it's time to give the red team another chance.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
Well, they fixed the issue I brought up on the early release... They just simply won't release a driver for older cards. They have an "As Is" Beta (meaning it won't be fixed when we have issues) but no real release.

Also, they did not release an IT Professional package with just the driver and no "extras". Surprise, surprise.

At least it sounds like folks are enjoying it.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Can anyone indicate when you know the FRTC is working? I have a MSI 7970 and installed this driver and play world of tanks but I can't seem to "control" the FPS and I already enabled the FRTC settings... am I doing it wrong or what? and yes I play world of tanks full screen not windowed,bordered etc etc

MaCk0y

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Can anyone indicate when you know the FRTC is working? I have a MSI 7970 and installed this driver and play world of tanks but I can't seem to "control" the FPS and I already enabled the FRTC settings... am I doing it wrong or what? and yes I play world of tanks full screen not windowed,bordered etc etc

Just check your FPS while playing. If it doesn't go beyond your FRTC it is working. For e.g. if you set it to 60, your FPS should not go beyond 60.

MaCk0y

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013

That's curious behaviour. I'll see if I can replicate that on the test bench.

Actually the overclock is saving. MSI afterburner was interfering. :)

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I would give all of that junk up in a heartbeat for a bare-bones 2MB DLL-only driver install. I am absolutely not alone in this regard, either.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

thats the thing it still goes over 60 about 70-90 somewhere along those lines since the game displays latency and FPS in game... maybe im doing something wrong?

linxroyal

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
i just download and installed it now, problem is it crash every time i run the radeon settings.
my cpu/apu amd a10 7850k/r7 series. running on w7 64bit.

do i have to rever to the previous version? i really wanna try this new catalyst.

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Hi. This might be a stupid question, but is it worth it to install newer driver packages when one's system has a very old GPU? For example, my MSI gaming laptop has a Radeon Mobility 5870 chip. I have heard that once new GPUs are two or more generations ahead, drivers no longer really add improvements to older cards, and essentially the drivers for the newer cards are unnecessary bloat. Is this true?

The only reason I can think of to install this new Crimson Software package is the improved load times that are described in this article. If the drivers load faster, it might speed up my laptop's boot time by a few seconds, which might just be worth it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
This new 'AMD Radeon Crimson Edition Drivers' is infuriating. I was quite happy about this new driver until I installed it... ALL CUSTOM/MANUAL VIDEO CONTROL/QUALITY settings are GONE!! What is left under custom video control is essentially a joke! Below are the missing options:

1. Basic Video Color
2. Color Vibrance + Slider => Replaced by three fixed levels!
3. Video Gamma + Slider
4. Flesh-tone Correction + Slider
5. Brighter Whites
6. Dynamic Range
7. Deinterlacing Setting
8. Pulldown detection
9. Edge enhancement + Slider => Again replaced by three fixed levels!
10. De-noise + Slider
11. Mosquito Noise Reduction + Slider
12. De-blocking + Slider
13. Dynamic Contrast

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
i just download and installed it now, problem is it crash every time i run the radeon settings.
my cpu/apu amd a10 7850k/r7 series. running on w7 64bit.

do i have to rever to the previous version? i really wanna try this new catalyst.
it's best to do a clean install of the driver. use the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility to uninstall the driver if you are experiencing issues with a normal install then reinstall the crimson driver.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
AMD/ATI Drivers, corrupting your mouse pointer randomly on multi-screen setups since 1995. Some things never change :/

I've never seen that problem on my 3 monitors under windows 7 or 10 (when I had XP I had an NVIDIA card)

Benetnach

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Cann not install new crimson drivers, Catalyst and old driver remains after update. Remove old versions and now when try install crimson only HDMI driver is available to install. Anyone with same problem? suggestions?
Thanks

bwohl

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Grrrrr...
Tried to install - it very nicely informed me that my 2 X 6870(s) in Crossfire are legacy as of Nov. 24th and they will not be updating the drivers any longer....

Status
Not open for further replies.