Move Over G45: Nvidia's nForce 730i Arrives

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have to agree with the people who are confused at the parts and price comparison. The 3.1ghz 6000 is 40$ cheaper than the intel part. the 790 amd motherboards are common around 85$ and it was stated that the more mature amd board. It is better rounded... and better home theater...in other reviews Intel procs are fastest and nvidia fastest in some games...no doubt. Itel prices haven't dropped much at all still expensive. Best bang for buck all around is amd... still seems to be case.

G

I think the bugs for Intel and AMD chipsets for Blu-ray offload are show stoppers for HTPC. I mean, run at higher CPU utilization will run the system hot...rev up the fans and cause more background noise, and I'm sure the overall playback will be choppier during action scene. Comments from users with 1080p Blu-ray experience would be great. Otherwise, looks like I'll drop some extra coin on the GeForce 9300 chipset motherboard.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Interesting to see just how well the AMD rig keeps up..and why you would choose it over an Intel solution if you wanted a decent system at a very low price point. I've recently seen certain British computer magazines saying the AMD A64 x2 isn't good enough, which is ludicrous. The A64 x2 does have to run faster to keep up with Core 2, but the difference isn't monumental and looking when you look at the chipset features you see that AMD wins hands down.

I wish tech journalists would be more informed..perhaps they should open their eyes, do their research and actually test systems properly. It's almost like they can't read simple bar graphs like the one's you see here because some of the comments they come out with are ridiculous and yet their articles influence millions of people who can seldom afford to recoup their losses when they make a bad purchase, ie they want to buy a dirt-cheap computer to play older games and watch blue-ray..they buy an Intel solution with a G45 chipset, and wonder why their films stutter and their games are slideshows.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Crank up the performance, though, and consumption quickly rises on the 790GX-based board.

Take into account the AMD's integrated memory controller and I think the graphs will be a bit closer..

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
"Our recommendation: find a board with dual-link DVI, at least. Although Dell’s 3008WFP includes its own chipset that doesn’t require dual-link, the 3007 is a far better value right now, and it does require dual-link connectivity."

i really dont get it: is there ANY board with integrated dual link DVI capability? even at may 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.