Move program files x86 to another hdd

Toastey

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
My first hard drive is nearly full, and my program x86 file is the main reason why. What I would like to do is give my program x86 file a designated hard drive, so what would the process be for moving the file from the one hard drive to the other.

Solution
Steam games can be moved from drive to drive.
Functionality built right into the Steam client.

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

-----------------------------------------------------------

Other applications cannot be moved like that.
The current info in the Registry and elsewhere has those on the C drive. You wish to maybe 'move' them to the D drive.
They will be completely broken. And you can't just go through and change C to D.

Applications would need to be Uninstalled, and then installed on the...

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Program Files x86 is a critical Windows folder, and it is needed for Windows to function properly. Basically x86 is main folder for applications like games, steam, or other software.

Put simply, either move the stuff inside x86 to a different hard drive or uninstall some high-capacity programs. Games are usually the #1 culprit for storage issues. So, either move those games to the dedicated HDD or uninstall the ones you aren't using.

Toastey

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

What if the second hard drive is installed on my computer, as well as the first hard drive that originally had program files x86 on it? Wouldn't program files x86 still be on my computer, just on a different hard drive? All I want to do is move the file to a second hard drive that I just recently installed in my computer. Does the file need to stay on the original hard drive?

if you want to move it to run whatever program, it wont work. Info needs to be in the registry so it'll work.

Moving folders wont change anything in the registry

The only way you can fix it is uninstall the program then reinstall it on the other hdd.

Altho some programs may not run or work properly, if it's not on C

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are any of the programs in a steam folder? If they are steam games, you can move the folders without needing to reinstall, you just need to point the default steam library location at the new folder location and it will find the games again. This same rule applies to wow folders, you just change the games location in the launcher. Can also move origin games.

But if the programs are just normal applications, Paul is right.

Also, changing the default save location in win 10 breaks windows as it uses it for drivers and windows updates as well. Moving the Applications the long way is the safest if you want PC to keep working.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
just download and run spacesniffer on your programs directory to know right away wich programs are eating alot of your space. there is also a chance like what @colif said. that there are data files that are being stored. so try to relocate your program data to another drive if possible. but before you do that, you ahve to go to your programs settings to define "save folder" or "game folder" you can also do a clean disk (right click on drive. disk cleanup. system files cleanup. ok.) to free up some space.

it could also be your User/desktop folder as well. you may have alot of files youve downloaded in there.

just never ever cut copy paste program files in your system. uninstall and reinstall to another drive is the proper way.

USAFRet

Titan

That will not work.
At all. Ever.

Give us some details of your setup.
Drive sizes and types, what exactly is taking up that space (Steam games?), as much detail as you can.

Toastey

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

I have two HDDs in my system and they are both:

-WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX

The majority of the space is being taken up by steam games, which gives me another question. What if, instead of moving the entire program files x86 to my second HDD (which is apparently not something you can do) I just move the "common" file, which is located within the "steam" file in program files x86, into the second HDD. This is the file that has all of my steam games on it (I probably have around 50+ steam games downloaded). Does the "common file" need to stay within the steam folder, and does the steam folder need to stay within program files x86?

I'm kinda confused as to why certain folders need to remain in certain places. Like why can't I move the program files x 86 to the second HDD, isn't everything within the file still there, just on a different HDD?

USAFRet

Titan
Steam games can be moved from drive to drive.
Functionality built right into the Steam client.

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

-----------------------------------------------------------

Other applications cannot be moved like that.
The current info in the Registry and elsewhere has those on the C drive. You wish to maybe 'move' them to the D drive.
They will be completely broken. And you can't just go through and change C to D.

Applications would need to be Uninstalled, and then installed on the drive of your choice.
Installing an application is actually quite complex.

Solution
Mar 14, 2019
This simply isn't true. I'm surprised every comment is stating it can not be done, ever. I have done it for years this way when using a PC. There are a few different methods and i'm not getting in to the details as i'll be here all day.

Method 1) Require a full fresh install. You can customize the installation process of any windows with the right software. You are able to adjust registry settings so the initial install will place all program files to what ever path you choose. When doing this process, it changes all registry edits at time of install to ensure everything works properly. This process you'll be able to customize driver installation, all current windows updates, any programs you wish, the product key and activation, bookmarks and custom web features, remove unwanted programs, custom wallpapers/lock-screen, log-in credentials and so much more. You can have it install from a USB drive where you just boot up, enter the setup drive, and walk away. Come back a couple hours later and your PC is set up 100% the way you need it.

Method 2) Much riskier and should be an expert level in windows installation/registry edits. You can Regedit your way through this process. It's time consuming, due to all the double/triple/quadruple checks on each program installed and all necessary calls to the C: drive and change to D: drive or what ever. This is really only for those who have a lot of experience in registry editing.

Bottom line is, it can and has been done. I had an MSI gaming laptop a few years back with two m.2 drives, 1-TB HDD, and swapped the DVD drive for a 2-TB HDD. In total was 4-TB available space with just the core of windows on one M.2 drive, program files on the other M.2 drive, and downloads and heavy data files on the two HDD drives. Never did it crash in 2+ years until I switched to a Mac-Book Pro. Recently I've switched back to another MSI gaming laptop and in the process to do this all over again. Steam games are simple to move, along with downloads, photos, videos, documents, and other common folders.

I've been installing Microsoft products back since DOS 3.0. So understanding the basic core scripting helped me see how the software works. I've been installing Linux since 1996 and have been dual booting systems since the same time. Worked on Open Source Android development supporting 7 devices for many years. I didn't go to college for any of this, just learned over the years via YouTube and working with other developers on XDA/Github. Anything can be done with computers, if you know how to work the software.

USAFRet

Titan
This simply isn't true. I'm surprised every comment is stating it can not be done, ever. I have done it for years this way when using a PC. There are a few different methods and i'm not getting in to the details as i'll be here all day.

The question was about moving programs that are already installed.

During the install of a new application? No problem. The vast majority give the option of 'where' during the install. No magic or regedit needed.
Something already installed means, as you mention, major poking around in the Registry. And sometimes that breaks things.

Mar 14, 2019
many were stating it can't be done after install which isn't true. Yes, it's complicated, but can be done successfully. It really doesn't take a lot of research to figure out the process of registry edits.