[SOLVED] Moved GPU slot, now PC is 50% slower

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
Hey all,

So i have a tomahawk max 2 with a 5700xt and a 970 that i have been using as a gaming / mining computer for months with no issues. Today i have a 3070ti coming so i wanted to move the 5700xt to the lower slot upgrading the 970gtx and then install the 3070ti where the 5700xt was. When i moved the 5700xt down a slot, the computer started running at like 50% speed. Since then i have done everything from reloading the PC, removing the cmos battery, removing each stick of ram, putting everything back the way it was and just now i took the whole machine apart to make sure connections are good.

I cant figure it out. It turns on, it works, but its just super slow. Looks good in the task manager/resources, nothing is running heavy, i dont see errors all over the place. Its like when i swapped the 970 and put in the 5700xt in the lower slot it did something to slow down everything. Safe mode on the mobo ? Change through put levels some where ? Im lost. PC test scores are terrible btw.

Any advice wold be helpful, thanks ! :)

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
So you were using 2 different graphic cards?and as for that you should be using the same exact model and brand of graphics card in both slots if you want to use both slots i guess,otherwise just use only the better one which is the 5700xt this time in the upper slot which is faster,until 3070ti arrives....i think you should go at amd's website and download the latest 5700xt graphics driver at the moment and do a custom and clean install when downloaded!Then when 3070ti arrives you should do the same(remove 5700xt by replacing 3070ti in its place) by visiting nvidia's drivers website and find your model there and follow the same procedure(just dont forget to check the clean install box when you ll see it)...hope that helps for you

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
Hi,

So i had 2 cards. 5700xt and gtx970. 5700xt was installed in the top slot ( 16x 4.0 ) and the 970 in the lower 16x slot ( 3.0 i think ). I removed the 970 from the machine permanently and moved the 5700 to the lower slot. Since then its SUPER slow. No matter what i do it wont go back to the speed it was.

Hope that makes the issue clearer :)

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
Normally, only the first slot on a motherboard runs at X16.
If you use a second slot, they are likely to run at 8x each.
This is motherboard/cpu dependent.
Read your motherboard manual.

For anyone else. Bad mobo. Temp sensor on the mobo was forcing a underclocking of the CPU to .54ghz. Ryzen master was used to disable temp monitoring and it came back to life. All threads i have found resulted in a mobo replacement. Thats what im doing.