Moved SSD from AMD machine to Intel machine, intel machine won't boot from it.

Feb 9, 2019
Looking to boot from an SSD

Spent most of tonight working on a new PC build for myself, and migrating some parts from one old pc into another. Computer gets to bios and can see the SSD that has windows on it (literally just swapped the SSD from the old mobo to new) but it won't boot to that drive- says to insert bootable media. The SSD was originally installed in an AMD machine, and I've migrated it to Intel.

Any tips as to why this might be happening, and options to change?

The Mobo in the new machine is an Asrock z7 pro.

I saw posts about enabling/disabling CSM, but that option doesn't seem to exist in the bios for this machine...

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
It is not supposed to boot when you move it like that. You need to clone the original drive first and keep the original around so you can make multiple tries at figuring this stuff out.

Then you need to uninstall all the AMD stuff, all the drivers, and anything else that could impose a dependency that would BSOD your migration. It will take some trial and error to find them all. And once you tried on the new system and it BSODs upon attempting to boot, most likely windows would have trashed itself by then. So that why you go back to original, clone it again, and do the whole process over and this time look for what you forgot last time. Take good notes and you will have shot at making this migration work.

Feb 9, 2019
got it. I think what i'll honestly do is boot it up in the old machine, move key files to a separate drive (simply storage, no OS stuff) and then do a clean install on the SSD.

That should work, right? As in, the HDD should be readable by both machines, even though the base one is AMD and the new one is Intel?

Secondary, haven't gotten to the new machine yet, but if that was an intel -> intel migration, should it be fine as well? Or would that be a similar case of required reinstall?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
AMD to AMD, Intel to Intel, usually there is a better chance at getting lazy and having less to do. But it is really about the chipsets, sound drivers, network drivers, video card drivers, etc. If any of those are not quite right, you run the risk of BSOD. And going from a p35 to z370 even for Intel or jumping from old AM3 to Ryzen, if you don't make the needed prep, it'll likely BSOD.

Feb 9, 2019
It may just be a clean install for both at that point. I don't particularly mind it, but my girlfriend will be pretty upset that her sims saves are gone.

Maybe I'll be able to get my machine running, then plug in her ssd and pull her saves. Worth a shot, anyway.