[SOLVED] Moving CoD game files and others to another SSD

Biggy Cent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
I'm wanting to move some game files form a new SSD to an older one so I don't have to reinstall everything while I do a clean install of Windows.

Is there a program for this or anything I should be aware of before I do it?

Solution
for some online games you may still need to reinstall the game & launcher(Steam, EGS, Rockstar, Battlenet, etc) even if you have properly backed up and restored all of your game files.

but, after a game is restored you should only have to point the launcher to the game directory and it would scan the folders and update/reinstall any missing files across the system. this would make it possible to avoid re-downloading all of the game files.

keep in mind though, like i mentioned earlier; any offline data stored on your system like certain saves and settings will be lost. this would need to be backed up and restored along with the game files themselves.
you can copy & paste all of the files to a safe location and then move them back later.
some save files are difficult to locate though due to odd storage locations and/or odd naming of these folders & files.
just search online for individual game names and "save location".

the easiest option would probably be to use something like Acronis True Image and just backup the "Program Data" & "Users" folders. then restore these files after the new OS is loaded.

USAFRet

Titan
you can copy & paste all of the files to a safe location and then move them back later.
some save files are difficult to locate though due to odd storage locations and/or odd naming of these folders & files.
just search online for individual game names and "save location".

the easiest option would probably be to use something like Acronis True Image and just backup the "Program Data" & "Users" folders. then restore these files after the new OS is loaded.
That will not work.
You can't apply an old "Program Files" folder to a new install.
You also cannot apply the /Users/ folder.

Doesn't work like that.

That will not work.
You can't apply an old "Program Files" folder to a new install.
You also cannot apply the /Users/ folder.

Doesn't work like that.
it's "ProgramData". where program and user files are stored. not the actual Program Files folders with the installed exe's.

my 1st suggestion is to locate all of the individual needed files/folders, not just copy/paste the actual Program Data & Users folders themselves. then repopulate them after the new setup and applications are installed.

and with Acronis True Image it can be done anyway. the program loads outside of Windows from DVD/Blu-Ray or USB media and replaces files directly to the disk while Windows is not loaded. i have successfully used this multiple times to keep track of saves & settings for 10+ years and have restored them across many OS reinstalls.

Last edited:
for some online games you may still need to reinstall the game & launcher(Steam, EGS, Rockstar, Battlenet, etc) even if you have properly backed up and restored all of your game files.

but, after a game is restored you should only have to point the launcher to the game directory and it would scan the folders and update/reinstall any missing files across the system. this would make it possible to avoid re-downloading all of the game files.

keep in mind though, like i mentioned earlier; any offline data stored on your system like certain saves and settings will be lost. this would need to be backed up and restored along with the game files themselves.

Solution