[SOLVED] Moving existing license to a new build help.

Danib0y26

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Hi guys,

I’m building a new pc this weekend, I currently own windows 10 pro (retail version with usb and product key) and I want to disable it on my current pc and move it to the newly built pc.

I know I need to boot from usb to install windows 10 through the bios but the license is currently attached to my old pc.

Can I just use the same usb that came with my windows 10 retail purchase and boot from that? I never used the usb at all to begin with as I had the key as well in the pack so I just used that instead as that pc was already up and running.

If anyone can help me inderstand the process better would be great :)

Solution
Setup a Microsoft Account and link your current PC to it , then backup whatever you want to save and perform a clean install on your new SSD and activate it with your Microsoft account from within windows. Skip the key entry during setup and activate it from within windows with the registered Microsoft Account.

Setup a Windows 10 Account ^

Create a USB installer here ^
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpsa5r1LvLg&t=135s

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Setup a Microsoft Account and link your current PC to it , then backup whatever you want to save and perform a clean install on your new SSD and activate it with your Microsoft account from within windows. Skip the key entry during setup and activate it from within windows with the registered Microsoft Account.

Solution

Danib0y26

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

So are you saying install my new ssd on my existing PC first? Install windows on to that with what I want to save from my existing pc? Sorry I'm a bit confused.

I already have a one drive account with Microsoft.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Backup what you need to save , to a storage device of your choice or the cloud , like you said you have.

Clean INSTALL Windows 10 Pro onto your new SSD with with the media created from the tool on the Microsoft site. As long as you have your current PC linked to a Microsoft account you can use your key to activate it on the new setup.

Reactions: Danib0y26

Danib0y26

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Backup what you need to save , to a storage device of your choice or the cloud , like you said you have.

Clean INSTALL Windows 10 Pro onto your new SSD with with the media created from the tool on the Microsoft site. As long as you have your current PC linked to a Microsoft account you can use your key to activate it on the new setup.

No worries, thank you. I’m just going to be doing a straight clean install nothing needed to bring over that I can’t re download later.

Reactions: Banned by Net

Danib0y26

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

Sorry one last question, will my linked pc be automaticly disabled of the current win 10 pro key? Once I reactivate it on my new pc?