Moving files from XP

cmasupra

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I just built a new computer with Windows 7. I bought a new hard drive for it, and now I would like to copy some files from my XP hard drive. I've put the XP hard drive into my Windows 7 PC.

One file I would like to copy is in the Application Data folder in XP (Firefox bookmarks). I can't read the file from there because I don't have "permission" to view the folder. If I click Continue, it says I have been denied permission and will need to use the Security tab. I click the Security tab link, and then click Continue on the next box that pops up called "Application Data Properties" with the Security tab open. Now a box titled "Advanced Security Settings for Application Data" pops up. I can take ownership (although I haven't tried it yet).

I'm scared to take ownership because it says "Please note that once you take ownership, the previous owner might not have access to the object". I still want to be able to put my XP drive into my XP computer and have it work just in case.

So, does anyone know if my Windows 7 PC could become the owner of the folder, and my XP computer would still have access to the folder, or would it block access from my XP computer? Or is there another way I can get into the folder without losing access in my XP computer? I just want my Firefox bookmarks from there (for now anyways).

I'd rather not rebuild my XP computer to put the files on an external drive. The computers share some parts, so the XP computer doesn't work right now, unless I pull them out of my Windows 7 computer.