[SOLVED] Moving from Intel to AMD. Is it required to reinstall OS ?

shyam.mora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2017
Finally after a long wait and numerous confusions later, I decided on what to upgrade to. My current PC is an i5-6400 with GTX 1060 3GB and running Windows 10. I am upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3500 with RTX 2060.

Since the motherboard, processor and GPU is new, will it be required to wipe off and reinstall Windows 10 ?

PS: I'll get the GPU first. The processor and motherboard will be bought a month later. Till then, GPU will run with current i5-6400. Anything to be noted on this ?

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Finally after a long wait and numerous confusions later, I decided on what to upgrade to. My current PC is an i5-6400 with GTX 1060 3GB and running Windows 10. I am upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3500 with RTX 2060.

Since the motherboard, processor and GPU is new, will it be required to wipe off and reinstall Windows 10 ?

PS: I'll get the GPU first. The processor and motherboard will be bought a month later. Till then, GPU will run with current i5-6400. Anything to be noted on this ?
There are three possibilities. It runs fine, it fails to boot, it boots but has lingering problems. All three are possible. Most likely with an architecture change is the first. In addition, a clean OS install is always recommended to avoid the third outcome. PLAN for a fresh OS install, and execute it. You won't be sorry.

USAFRet

Titan
Solution