Question Moving from USA to Europe, Latvia // Will my TV work

Parfachoks

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Hey everyone,

tried to do some research on the web, but found quite a bit of conflicting information, so decided to ask the forum that has helped me with complicated topics before!

a couple of months ago, I bought a new TV here in the USA and back then I was not expecting that it will happen so soon, but I have to move back to Europe. I am trying to understand whether I should rather try to sell the TV here and go for a new one in Latvia, or I actually can make it properly work.

I understand that I can solve the Power difference by a step up/down converter, but I am not sure if that is the only problem I should be concerned about.

Here are the specs:
Model: 55UN7300PUF
Power: AC 120V 50-60Hz 160W
Typical Power: 78.7W

The place where I am moving has the typical EU power - AC 220V, so I was think to buy a Step Up/Down converter for 400W to account for any power surges as well.
The local TV provider has the Digital setup that transmitts the signal to the TV same as Verizon, through and HDMI cable, so are the Hz still something to worry about?

Thank you folks in advance!

Sep 28, 2020
The EU uses the pal and not NTSC. It will work with say a PC, but you will at lest need a power converter. Id say sell it and get a TV locally.

Reactions: Parfachoks

Parfachoks

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Latvia uses DVB-T TV broadcasting system. Your TV device uses ATSC. You'll not be able to receive local on-air TV with it.

NTSC/PAL is not relevant.
So, even though the signal is transmitted for the Digital TV through a HDMI, it would still not work? The HDMI also transmits signals differently?

Sep 28, 2020
NTSC/PAL is not relevant.
It does, if a interlaced or SD singles is ever used it could case problems given the different res and refresh raits.
However HD video over say HDMI should work, dispite this PAL HD and NTSC HD are still to this day not 100% same, luckily they are close enough that it should work on most all TVs.

Sep 28, 2020
It is relevant to analog TV systems.
Latvia has migrated to digital TV broadcasting pretty long ago.
More so yes, but even DTV still has some differences that hearken back to the PAL vs NTSC or at lest the region coding that comes with it.
The region coding encryption on blu-rays and some DVDs and cable boxes can get finicky if they detect the a NTSC TV when its a PAL region player and vice versa. There is also 50hz vs 60hz thing witch can still be a problem on some TVs from what I been told.
The encryption thing can even be a problem with super old TVs even if everything is from the same region. I have a 70s TV that I use for decor and when I tried to hook up a cable box to it for fun via a HDMI to composite and a RF modulator I found that most channels errored out. After calling the cable company they told me that would have to send a second box that interpenetrated the single to the TV to aid in the decryption. It had something to do with the cable box not being being able to pick up on the region coding, or so I was told.

Last edited:

Parfachoks

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
More so yes, but even DTV still has some differences that hearken back to the PAL vs NTSC or at lest the region coding that comes with it.
The region coding encryption on blu-rays and some DVDs and cable boxes can get finicky if they detect the a NTSC TV when its a PAL region player and vice versa. There is also 50hz vs 60hz thing witch can still be a problem on some TVs from what I been told.
The encryption thing can even be a problem with super old TVs even if everything is from the same region. I have a 70s TV that I use for decor and when I tried to hook up a cable box to it for fun via a HDMI to composite and a RF modulator I found that most channels errored out. After calling the cable company they told me that would have to send a second box that interpenetrated the single to the TV to aid in the decryption. It had something to do with the cable box not being being able to pick up on the region coding, or so I was told.
The TV I have is 3 months old, and the specs on the back do say 50-60Hz, so would that cover the differences NTSC would have vs PAL/SECAM?

Parfachoks

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Thanks everyone for your input.
Based on everything I have heard, I will buy a Power Converter and try to move this TV to Latvia.