kivarocket

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hello,

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I have it on an unpartitioned 500 GB hard drive. I've got a second identical HDD that I plan to install.

I've been told that moving pagefile.exe to a second hard drive would boost my system but I'm wondering: do my hard drives have to be in RAID to make this work? I don't plan to RAID--at most I'll partition the HDD's.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Solution

I think that's a different issue. If the drives show as "unallocated space" in Disk Manager, then you can't use the space in Windows. You may or may not already know this, and have done it: A brand-new drive has to be partitioned, to allocate the space for use, and formatted, to turn the allocated space into a filesystem that will show up when you browse.

If you've already done that, ignore me. If you haven't and know how, do it. If you don't know how, we will help.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Do you have multi partitions on the 2nd drive? What is on the different partitions?

The first partition will be the outer tracks thus faster. However, if there is a lot of other activity on that HD then moving the pagefile there won't give you a huge benefit.

kivarocket

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I'm totally new to partitioning and I haven't even partitioned my first HDD that Win 7 is on. I built the computer for gaming, and so I'm not going to use it for much else than that. Any suggestions on partitions?

kivarocket

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, I have 4 GB of RAM.
So partitioning and swap file moving won't really make that big of a difference, even over time? I won't do it if it's not necessary...and I can just leave both hard drives as unallocated space...

I think that's a different issue. If the drives show as "unallocated space" in Disk Manager, then you can't use the space in Windows. You may or may not already know this, and have done it: A brand-new drive has to be partitioned, to allocate the space for use, and formatted, to turn the allocated space into a filesystem that will show up when you browse.

If you've already done that, ignore me. If you haven't and know how, do it. If you don't know how, we will help.

Solution