[SOLVED] Moving ssd storge drive to new PC

Vernsson

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
My PC crashed last weekend so I replaced it with a new one. I needed a PC with good specs for gaming, but gaming is only a small part of its usage. The new PC I purchased has all the needs for everything including gaming, but like most of the newer PCs, it didn't come with all the things I needed. I was more interested in the cpu and video card, but didn't notice that it only had a 250gb hard drive. Yikes! My previous PC had a 1tb storage but it was a HDD and not a SSD so I bought a 1 tb Crucial ssd to move game files into so the games will not have the page load delays that happened the HDD. With that said, I would like to move the Crucial SDD to the new PC. It is simply a storage drive. Nothing else. Will this simply be a plug and play? Thanks.

Solution
Yes, assigning a drive letter would be all you need to do if Windows doesn't automatically assign it the same letter it has in the old system. If you have to do that then its Right click on the drive and select 'Change Drive letter and paths' followed by your choice of drive letter.

Personally I would make it the same letter is used before.

As for the games. if they are from Launcher apps, like Steam or Origin, then be sure to add the SSD's games folders to the App's library locations once you reinstall them. Steam/Origin won't pick them up automatically.

popatim

Titan
Yes, assigning a drive letter would be all you need to do if Windows doesn't automatically assign it the same letter it has in the old system. If you have to do that then its Right click on the drive and select 'Change Drive letter and paths' followed by your choice of drive letter.

Personally I would make it the same letter is used before.

As for the games. if they are from Launcher apps, like Steam or Origin, then be sure to add the SSD's games folders to the App's library locations once you reinstall them. Steam/Origin won't pick them up automatically.

Solution