[SOLVED] Moving to new PC but want a fresh install of Win 10 then move to new SSD

jason99vmi

Reputable
Jul 29, 2016
Buying new CPU, Mobo. I want to do a fresh install of Win10 on my new setup. I've seen the tutorials about taking your existing Win10 install SSD and using that in new PC. But I also want to put Win 10 on a newer SSD in the new PC.

So do i plug old SSD into new PC and activate Win10 then do a full reset wiping everything thus a clean install? Then migrate to the new SSD after?

or do I just create a boot USB with fresh install of Win 10 and plug new SSD in for it to be loaded on? Thanks!

Solution
Buying new CPU, Mobo. I want to do a fresh install of Win10 on my new setup. I've seen the tutorials about taking your existing Win10 install SSD and using that in new PC. But I also want to put Win 10 on a newer SSD in the new PC.

So do i plug old SSD into new PC and activate Win10 then do a full reset wiping everything thus a clean install? Then migrate to the new SSD after?

or do I just create a boot USB with fresh install of Win 10 and plug new SSD in for it to be loaded on? Thanks!
New system = fresh install, on whichever drive, while it is in that system.

Anyone that says you can take an existing OS install and move it to new hardware and it "always works" is blowing serious smoke.

3 possible outcomes:
  1. It...

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020

If you've nothing on the SSD to keep, best to go for the latter (bootable USD and over-write your SSD). Reasoning: it's faster. Otherwise, you'll boot from old Windows install, Windows will then update drivers etc, just for you to wipe it all anyway.

Reactions: jason99vmi

USAFRet

Titan

New system = fresh install, on whichever drive, while it is in that system.

Anyone that says you can take an existing OS install and move it to new hardware and it "always works" is blowing serious smoke.

3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
Increasingly, #3 is the result.
Initially, "Success!" Later...."hmm, maybe not so much"

Also, the existing WIn 10 license is a whole different things.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution