Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

GuyGordon

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
So I am looking to upgrade a vast majority of the parts in my computer, GPU, CPU, motherboard etc. It will basically be a new system with the exception to the HDD I will still be using alongside a new SSD. When reading up on how to transfer my copy of Windows 10 to my new SDD I read that the free upgrade version or Windows 10, which is how I acquired it, is tied to the hardware of the system in question. Further reading showed that you can use your Microsoft account tied to your version of Windows 10 to help recover it. I was curious if anyone knew which hardware in particular the OS is tied to and if I will need to buy Windows 10 again for this new system to run it. Basically can I put my old HDD in this new system while retaining Windows 10, then transfer the OS to the SSD after the fact. Microsoft's official word on the subject is rather vague.

Solution
Changing hardware, generally it is the motherboard that is the key part for the OS licensing.

As of the Anniversary release, 1607, that is generally not a concern anymore.
You can link the OS license to a MS account rather than the specific hardware.
Read this before you change the hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

It still might need a fresh install with the new hardware, but the license should be OK.

Now....changing all the hardware AND the actual drive (HDD->SSD) all at the same time will almost certainly require a fresh install.

USAFRet

Titan
Changing hardware, generally it is the motherboard that is the key part for the OS licensing.

As of the Anniversary release, 1607, that is generally not a concern anymore.
You can link the OS license to a MS account rather than the specific hardware.
Read this before you change the hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

It still might need a fresh install with the new hardware, but the license should be OK.

Now....changing all the hardware AND the actual drive (HDD->SSD) all at the same time will almost certainly require a fresh install.

Solution