Question Moving XP Disk to a different system

rmk9785e

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
I had an old Dell XP computer that died and I still need to run some old applications on XP so I moved the disk drive to similarly old HP Pavillion a300y (D7222C) computer with the help of Hiren's BootCD. I have a couple of problems that I still need help with.
The system doesn't boot directly but XP loads by first booting HBCD and then choosing the boot disk. It can then connect to the internet.
Secondly, it has recognized most hardware and installed drivers for them except the display VGA drivers for its Intel integrated graphics. Where can I find drivers for it?
I do not have my XP SP3 CD anymore.

Any help is appreciated.

rmk9785e

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Can I ask why you hold so tight on XP? What program is that important?

I'll be more than happy if I can help you choose Linux instead.

Cheers
Agreed that it appears silly to hang on to this dinosaur.
There a couple of old apps that don't run on new systems and some important emails that I wasn't able to export from Outlook express to newer email system.

rmk9785e

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Unfortunately, HP no longer has drivers for that machine.

https://driverscollection.com/?H=Pavilion a300y (D7222C) CTO&By=HP&SS=Windows XP&dpage=6
After some googling, it seems drivers collection is a safe website. They seem to have graphics drivers for that machine.

I'm surprised that the HP even boots using the Dells xp install.
Thank you. This helps. Surprisingly, it found 13 updates (presumably at Microsoft's updates site) for the RealTek AC'97 Audio, security updates for Office 2007, Office 2010 and most importantly for Intel 82845G graphics controller.

Everything works except ---
No my only remaining problem is booting directly without having to go through Hiren's Boot CD and choosing Boot from Hard Disk (NTLDR).

A couple of other options would be to run XP on a virtual machine on a newer system. That gives you the best of both worlds without the hassle of trying to set up drivers. If you are hellbent on something that runs XP, you could go with an AMD FX 8000 series. It's still reasonably fast, can still be purchased new at reasonable prices, and has full XP driver sets.