Mozilla Announces Firefox OS Smartphones For Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

these specs are ridiculously outdated imo, 1GB RAM is a necessity if they wish to compete in a mid-high end range, the processor isnt too bad I guess, providing thats a dual core right?

G

You know Mozilla is developing the OS not the hardware, the hardware is an issue of handset makers, what Mozilla is after is the OS

g-unit1111

Titan
This is a good example of too little too late. There's already iOS, Android X.XX, Windows Phone 7, WebOS (defunct), Kindle OS, Nook OS, and I've heard of versions of Ubuntu for Smart Phones, and now Mozilla is developing an OS. Last thing we need is another OS with more apps to buy. :ange:

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]This is a good example of too little too late. There's already iOS, Android X.XX, Windows Phone 7, WebOS (defunct), Kindle OS, Nook OS, and I've heard of versions of Ubuntu for Smart Phones, and now Mozilla is developing an OS. Last thing we need is another OS with more apps to buy.[/citation]

sorry to burst your bubble but the NOOK and the Kindle ( except eink) use various versions of Android ... oh and there will be an Ubuntu for mobile phones made prolly just peeve you off :D

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]wozza365[/nom]these specs are ridiculously outdated imo, 1GB RAM is a necessity if they wish to compete in a mid-high end range, the processor isnt too bad I guess, providing thats a dual core right?[/citation]
One of those people... There isn't such a thing as bad hardware, just bad price. If the low-end model sells for $100 or so (w/o contract), then those are good specs. Also, we don't what Mozilla's OS needs in terms of resources, but it's likely it's significantly less than Android.
As for the high end phone, it's using the Snapdragon S4, which ranges from dual-core A5's to their custom quad-core Krait; so yes, it's at least dual-core.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Also consider right now these phones are being made for developmental purposes and may not be targeted for US consumers. I can see the demand for lower priced phones without all the bells & whistles that some of these other phones that cost as much as a monthly car or rent payment have.

neblogai

Distinguished
The most important here is that Firefox is opensource. Others will gather your information- like Google or Microsoft, and also restrict you like Kindle and Apple. Firefox is open, and serves only the user, so as long as the new OS is fast and stable- it will definitely be my first choice for mobile devices. Expect it to attract a community of modders, which will make it even better and more customizable.

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Perhaps they are giving these mid-range phones to developers so that they can test and optimize their apps for such devices. If their app runs well on a mid-range device (which is what most people own), then it'll probably automatically run well on a higher-end device. Also, like some have stated before, if the OS is programmed well, it may run perfectly well on a lower-end device.

Status
Not open for further replies.