Mozilla Claims 25% Improvement in Firefox Startup Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I love FF, very nice to use. The only gripe I have on it is the UI. Chrome is the browser I use not only because of the speed but because pf its modern UI. Please Mozilla, update firefox to a more modern UI.

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Enjoy your partially abandoned IE9.[/citation] There are more than just two browsers you know....

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]HDmac[/nom]There are more than just two browsers you know....[/citation]

I was defaulting to a 2003 survey that stated that IE6 had a little over 98% of the market share b/c he didn't specify which browser he was comparing FF to.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Enjoy your partially abandoned IE9.[/citation]
IE 10 is very nice though. 9, not so much, but its still got more marketshare than all other desktop browsers combined and its actually growing.

sammaster

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]rocknrollz[/nom]I love FF, very nice to use. The only gripe I have on it is the UI. Chrome is the browser I use not only because of the speed but because pf its modern UI. Please Mozilla, update firefox to a more modern UI.[/citation]

Funny, i use FF because of the UI instead of Chrome. UI ends up being a question of choice. Just so happens some like one more often over the other. Plus I enjoy sync. Nice FF feature (not tied to one of the big names of the industry).

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]rocknrollz[/nom]I love FF, very nice to use. The only gripe I have on it is the UI. Chrome is the browser I use not only because of the speed but because pf its modern UI. Please Mozilla, update firefox to a more modern UI.[/citation]
Mozilla has gone out of its way to make Firefox more and more like Chrome. What more could you want?

I wish they would leave FF alone and let it look like itself, so I wouldn't have to rely on an FF3 theme to make it usable.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]soundping[/nom]I notice when I first start FF 19 Nightly the cash will take time to build. After that FF loads much faster.[/citation]
current FF theme is copied from Opera.

LEXX911

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Been using FF for years now and it's the best browser out there for me. The only thing that is killing it once awhile is the stupid Flash. Flash need to get their shit together.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]LEXX911[/nom]Been using FF for years now and it's the best browser out there for me. The only thing that is killing it once awhile is the stupid Flash. Flash need to get their shit together.[/citation]

I agree. Even the 11.5 is unstable and occasionally crashes my GPU driver, which often times crashes the entire computer.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I agree. Even the 11.5 is unstable and occasionally crashes my GPU driver, which often times crashes the entire computer.[/citation]It's probably your drivers or another issue with your machine. Same reason people experience more crashes with modern hardware accelerated browsers. Personally I haven't had any issues with Flash since 11.3

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]It's probably your drivers or another issue with your machine. Same reason people experience more crashes with modern hardware accelerated browsers. Personally I haven't had any issues with Flash since 11.3[/citation]

I downgraded to CCC 9.x and reupgraded all the way up to CCC 12.11, and the crash continued to occur.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]IE 10 is very nice though. 9, not so much, but its still got more marketshare than all other desktop browsers combined and its actually growing.[/citation]

I guess I don't get the whole 'market share' thing as it relates to browsers... I mean, all the major browsers are free, right? It's kinda like saying who has the highest market share on air.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]LEXX911[/nom]Been using FF for years now and it's the best browser out there for me. The only thing that is killing it once awhile is the stupid Flash. Flash need to get their shit together.[/citation]

Funny you say that Flash needs to get it together when Flash works flawlessly with Chrome and AFAIK IE 9 too (I don't use IE enough to really say for sure). Firefox on the other hand has been showing these problems with Flash for several releases now. FF used to be my go to browser until that started. I keep it installed and updated though hoping that someday they'll fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.