Mozilla Claims 25% Improvement in Firefox Startup Speed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]These version numbers are getting ridiculous, by the end of next year we'll start counting in Roman numerals![/citation]

Well, AVG and AutoCAD are currently using the 1+(current year) naming scheme.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
12 releases since Firefox 4, and I keep giving them a chance every time, but it never seems even close to as fluid as Chrome was even back in the FF4 days let alone now. Maybe this will help, but they've promised things that will help other aspects so many times over and it's just never close. I want to like firefox again, I really do, but the FEEL of the UI is just sluggish, benchmarks be damned.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Thank god. I really need those .005 seconds.[/citation]

Does it make you vastly more productive? No, but if I have a few browsers in my system and one pops open instantly while the other lags a bit, I'll usually pick the fast one to avoid that annoyance netting it more usage.

randomizer

Champion
At least for my work PC, Chrome has the snappier UI (thanks to Firefox seemingly running too many things on the UI thread), but it also uses far too much memory far too quickly, and that means I have none left for any other application. As it stands I usually run at 80-95% usage and have probably chopped years off the life of my HDD from constant page file thrashing.

In any case I just prefer Firefox, and Opera is pretty nice too. Chrome is... meh. IE and Safari are abominations and that includes IE9 which has trouble correctly rendering basic HTML4 elements.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Man, Firefox is really nice and all. Never had Firefox as my primary browser since the good old days of 3.5. I had Nightly x64 as default though. It was a stunning product. But eventually I dropped both, because the vanilla had UI lag (really annoying) and the Nightly was getting unstable at times.

I tried Waterfox. Faster, but the UI problems were still there. Anyway, for speed and UI lag-free I'd choose either Opera of Chrome. But I don't like Chrome for the absence of smooth-scrolling (a pleasant one, anyway).

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]As of this moment, it is also fastest to crash. I want my old FF stability and performance back.[/citation]
I'm using Aurora 15 and it hasn't crashed once. (Yes I know Aurora is currently on version 18 but I refuse to upgrade every single update because the bandwidth required for the updates is too large)

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom] But I don't like Chrome for the absence of smooth-scrolling (a pleasant one, anyway).[/citation]

That was one of my main gripes too, but with 23 the smooth scrolling seems comparable to firefox.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]I'm using Aurora 15 and it hasn't crashed once. (Yes I know Aurora is currently on version 18 but I refuse to upgrade every single update because the bandwidth required for the updates is too large)[/citation]

You're even behind the Stable branch now. I think it's about time to update.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I downgraded to CCC 9.x and reupgraded all the way up to CCC 12.11, and the crash continued to occur.[/citation]

A whole host of things can cause this. Try testing your PSU - you can buy a tester for cheap, it's a must have for the home builder. Try upgrading your bios. Try upgrading firmware on your DVD drives. Check the actual website for your onboard Realtek devices, broadcom controllers, etc. Try running Malware's Anti-Malware Bytes, Microsoft Security Essentials (the two I use most). I'm rock steady on my older hardware. Anyone with a more modern day mobo should be just fine.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]As of this moment, it is also fastest to crash. I want my old FF stability and performance back.[/citation]

I don't have any similar issues and I use FF all day long. Although in some occasions Chrome might be more stable but overall none is much better than the other.

[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]Funny you say that Flash needs to get it together when Flash works flawlessly with Chrome and AFAIK IE 9 too (I don't use IE enough to really say for sure). Firefox on the other hand has been showing these problems with Flash for several releases now. FF used to be my go to browser until that started. I keep it installed and updated though hoping that someday they'll fix it.[/citation]

I've noticed the same instability with Chrome, IE, and Opera and all with several different drivers, so I disagree. It's flash that is the problem. I don't have Flash crashes often at all, but they happen regardless of my browser choice when they do happen.

reaper123

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I've noticed the same instability with Chrome, IE, and Opera and all with several different drivers, so I disagree. It's flash that is the problem. I don't have Flash crashes often at all, but they happen regardless of my browser choice when they do happen.[/citation]

Firefox would often crash when watching stuff on youtube to the point it got intolerable, switched to chrome and i 've never experienced the same problem. Though your case suggests that there is problem with your computer in general, whereas for people like me and chewy its only firefox with that problem. It usually happens when am trying to scroll up and down while the video is playing

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
mozilla went the google way with it's cache option....fail...got to love ie's cache option of how you can choose how many days you want to keep on your pc

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]mozilla went the google way with it's cache option....fail...got to love ie's cache option of how you can choose how many days you want to keep on your pc[/citation]

I can do that in Firefox and Chrome too, lol.

[citation][nom]rocknrollz[/nom]I love FF, very nice to use. The only gripe I have on it is the UI. Chrome is the browser I use not only because of the speed but because pf its modern UI. Please Mozilla, update firefox to a more modern UI.[/citation]

If you don't like the looks find an addon to change it for you.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]wanderer11[/nom]If you don't like the looks find an addon to change it for you.[/citation]

Or he can wait untill Firefox 19 which will ship with their Australis UI.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I can do that in Firefox and Chrome too, lol.[/citation]
those two browsers do not let you choose how many days you can keep....they only allow you to delete your history every time you exit the browser....if you can do it the was same way you can in IE please show me proof....and please do not use any add-ons....i really don't trust add-ons....they are nothing but spyware

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]those two browsers do not let you choose how many days you can keep....they only allow you to delete your history every time you exit the browser....if you can do it the was same way you can in IE please show me proof....and please do not use any add-ons....i really don't trust add-ons....they are nothing but spyware[/citation]

Spyware? Bullshit. Firefox and Chrome have plenty of add-ons and if they give me some functionality, then I can use them and use them in any such argument all I want to unless you can prove that specific add-ons that are relevant to this discussion are spyware. Whether or not you trust them is irrelevant, what matters is that they're there are they're not untrustworthy whether or not you trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.