Mozilla Developer Praises Apple, Trashes Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I must agree that Flash was a great thing in the past (being nowadays nothing but junk that allows huge pop-up adverts and spying supercookies) but that guy is clearly asking for a job at Apple.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Apple can't allow flash on it's devices because free flash games and apps would destroy the great app store market they have. I don't like Flash in FF but it's fine in IE

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I would like to see the end of Flash, Silverlight, ActiveX and H.264 in HTML5.[/citation]Apple's reason to not use Flash may not be the reason why I want flash eliminated as well, but do we really have to thank Apple for killing an used-to-be-necessary evil? I think we should thank the developers of HTML5 instead.

Flash in its entirety is not bad and it has capabilities still that HTML5 does not, also a lot of the time it is not flash itself that causes problems but its implementation by the developer.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'm a web developer and although I don't really like Flash, my clients love it and pay a premium to have big, loud, flashy Flash sites. So f#@k off, standards-Nazis and don't mess with my meal ticket.
Also Flash sites can be bookmarked and have back button functionality if the developers do them properly.

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I would like to see the end of Flash, Silverlight, ActiveX and H.264 in HTML5.[/citation]

Why would you want to kill H.264 in HTML5 when it presents one of the best things about HTML5: Not having to have a separate plug-in. I love HTML5. On You Tube, 1080P HTML5 video loads much faster than Flash.

While Flash brought a lot of nice features to the web, the majority of it is crap now. Flash was started for animation and cool site features but is mainly pop up adds of annoyance and crapware.

I remember designing menus for website using Flash to give it the drop down effect. But that was with Flash 4. A long time ago.

[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Apple's reason to not use Flash may not be the reason why I want flash eliminated as well, but do we really have to thank Apple for killing an used-to-be-necessary evil? I think we should thank the developers of HTML5 instead.[/citation]

Pretty much this. All Apple did was say no to the plug-ins. HTML5 was the real reason and actually browsers like IE9 and FF 4.0 will be the real reason we see less Flash due to their push of HTML5.

I don't mind Silverlight honestly since its rare to find and when it is found, its normally just for videos which seem to playback smoother than Flash. But still a browser without a ton of addons is the best way to go for a great web experience.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
The only good flash brought was that it was easily blocked by an ad aware program.
I worry about HTML 5, where ads will be harder to block!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Why would you want to kill H.264 in HTML5 when it presents one of the best things about HTML5: Not having to have a separate plug-in. I love HTML5. On You Tube, 1080P HTML5 video loads much faster than Flash.[/citation]
He didn't said that wanted the video playback capabilities of html5 removed. Most likely wants to kill H.264 because it's not a open format so it shouldn't belong on HTML. The internet also had a problem in the past with another format, GIF. Most people don't want history to repeat itself.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Every time I read something about Firefox anymore...I'm more glad I never jumped on that bandwagon. The browser takes forever to load....and it doesn't load webpages any faster than IE does. In the time it takes Firefox just to load...I can be at any website of my choosing using IE or Chrome...

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]The only good flash brought was that it was easily blocked by an ad aware program.I worry about HTML 5, where ads will be harder to block![/citation]
HTML5 is still HTML so I don't see what would be so hard about blocking ads.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Apple's reason to not use Flash may not be the reason why I want flash eliminated as well, but do we really have to thank Apple for killing an used-to-be-necessary evil? I think we should thank the developers of HTML5 instead.[/citation]

sadly no. there are great things made all the time, but they go unused because there is a standard. with apple not letting flash on the iphone or ipad, it makes a HUGE market that cant uses flash and forces developers to either abandon those platforms, or develop for them. in this case they decided to develop for them.

G

Someones going to create an adblocker for HTML 5 right? Cause I dont believe the ads are going to go away just because flash does!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Someones going to create an adblocker for HTML 5 right? Cause I dont believe the ads are going to go away just because flash does![/citation]

Ad blockers work by blocking content from known advertising servers (lists get updated constantly) rather than blocking Flash. Ad blockers don't block Flash because then you wouldn't be able to see videos, play games on Facebook and so on.

G

Hi !
I am surprised that many people state that they don't like flash because it is used to create massive pop-up adverts... As far as I am concerned 90% or more of those ads are implemented by Java script + html not flash. I would even say that flash itself is pretty harmless as without having site entirely created in flash it is not possible to have a great pop up simply because flash does not offer this kind of functionality. To create a popup advert you need to have some sort of script that will generate it and then its up to you how you gonna create the content within it and I say it again it is not flash which is harmful. I personally love flash and even though it is not great for search engines I have created few sites entirely in flash simply because there is no other way at the present to create a website that will be so smooth and that will have such visual features. I hope Apple will one day understand that and will allow flash on their devices.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Dr Zepsuj[/nom]Hi !I am surprised that many people state that they don't like flash because it is used to create massive pop-up adverts... As far as I am concerned 90% or more of those ads are implemented by Java script + html not flash. I would even say that flash itself is pretty harmless as without having site entirely created in flash it is not possible to have a great pop up simply because flash does not offer this kind of functionality. To create a popup advert you need to have some sort of script that will generate it and then its up to you how you gonna create the content within it and I say it again it is not flash which is harmful. I personally love flash and even though it is not great for search engines I have created few sites entirely in flash simply because there is no other way at the present to create a website that will be so smooth and that will have such visual features. I hope Apple will one day understand that and will allow flash on their devices.[/citation]
Well, you are wrong! Wow, just...your comment is very amateur and if I continue commenting I would be mean so I'll refrain. Maybe think about what you just said and why it is wrong lol....

G

Against flash is stupid. It is against MONEY$$$$$$. Think about it. How do ANY website generate money? It is through the advertisement. Flash is perfect for advertisement.

You cannot defeat money!

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Why are there so many Microsoft gimps on this site?
I don't like Firefox either, but why are there several posts praising IE9 here already. I don't think there's any other tech site you'd see such madness.
The only thing I use IE for is downloading Opera.
In my book, Opera is the best browser for Windows and Safari is the best browser for Mac OS.

PS: even the news posters constantly bash Apple and praise Microsoft.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Why are there so many Microsoft gimps on this site?I don't like Firefox either, but why are there several posts praising IE9 here already. I don't think there's any other tech site you'd see such madness.The only thing I use IE for is downloading Opera.In my book, Opera is the best browser for Windows and Safari is the best browser for Mac OS. PS: even the news posters constantly bash Apple and praise Microsoft.[/citation]
i dropped opera for chrome and IE since i couldn't use opera for basic things like paying my bills or watch hockey

jazn1337

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Why do people talk like Adobe won't be supporting or developing tools for HTML5? It isn't like the death of flash will be the death of Adobe.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]TonyAlmeida@hotmailcom[/nom]Against flash is stupid. It is against MONEY$$$$$$. Think about it. How do ANY website generate money? It is through the advertisement. Flash is perfect for advertisement.You cannot defeat money![/citation]
Flash banners probably don't generate that much money unless you have huge amounts of traffic. They are usually not targeted ads, and so are irrelevant to the viewer.

v100

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
crappy firefox and never-ended update and update, after reading this article, I just uninstalled it from my pc and android.

Status
Not open for further replies.