Mozilla Updates Firefox For Windows 10 As Edge Browser Looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
And they fixed the "Unable to Download" error that caused the install to fail on first time install in Windows 10 for those with a new/clean install.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
firefox.. has been having trouble since switching to 10.. crashing allot.. pages freezing for several seconds.. when moving around.. I like fox it gives different content than chrome.. but chrome I mostly use.. edge.. ahh I dread to use the new browser.. gotta look up all those passwords.. and imput all again.. guess i'm just to dang lazy..

firefox is still acting up.. its been over a week since last posting flash keeps crashing.. just did so again

Edge is not usable to me as most of the features that I regularly use are missing. I think that edge is only suitable for basic web browsing. Edge maybe fast but without the missing features I will be giving it a miss.

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Edge is not usable to me as most of the features that I regularly use are missing. I think that edge is only suitable for basic web browsing. Edge maybe fast but without the missing features I will be giving it a miss.

Edge was released unfinished. It's missing extension/plugin support and that's a big thing for a lot of people. MS will add that later they say.

thuckabay

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I really like the Firefox browser. It has one serious flaw, however: stability. After using it for a lengthy period with lots of tabs open, it will eventually crash. I have seen this many times. Other than that, it's a really great browser, and has terrific recovery after a crash. As for the new Edge browser, I have found it to be less stable than Firefox thus far, but also less capable than both IE and Firefox in one key area of functionality upon which I rely: the Edge browser offers no way to create a Windows shortcut to a web page that is currently being viewed. IE allows one to right-click the page and select Create Shortcut, whereas Firefox offers the Deskcut plugin for a similar, though somewhat less polished (i.e., more manual) capability. No such functionality or plugin is exposed or exists right now for the Edge browser, and for me, that alone is enough to cause me not to use it much. Chrome is also great, but like the Edge browser, it too offers no way to create a desktop shortcut to a web page being viewed, so far as I know.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Firefox, let`s be hypocrite about stuff now, let`s complain about MS defaulting some stuff while our browser defaults to Yahoo search ... Your default is bad! My default is good! Bad MS , bad boy!

Also Edge seems to be a beast of a browser for it`s first iteration, i`ve tested it even on my Lumia 930 phone, damn this browser is fast.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
firefox.. has been having trouble since switching to 10.. crashing allot.. pages freezing for several seconds.. when moving around.. I like fox it gives different content than chrome.. but chrome I mostly use.. edge.. ahh I dread to use the new browser.. gotta look up all those passwords.. and imput all again.. guess i'm just to dang lazy..
Got to be your personal machine, since I have yet to have Firefox crash on Windows 10 at all. Heck, I've even gone to some Flash websites that I know Firefox has problems with and it has been breezing through them since this update.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I fed up with Firefox and Flash content, yet I will not dump it in favor of Chrome becuase I don't have enough trust left with Google's 'internal' policies. IE, no chance at all. So I'm with Firefox....but Flash is nasty.

Having said, sometimes I also use K-Meleon. It looks promising as a light-weight Mozilla-based alternative. I'm considering a good donation.

jairus24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I've been using Edge since beta/Technical Preview days, It's good, built around web standards unlike Internet Explorer and Edge has the potential to compete with Firefox and Chrome. But there are 2 major things that's keeping me from switching completely, extension support (which will be added on later update) and changing of cache directory which is not very healthy for SSD boot drive especially when you stream a lot, I still use Firefox as a secondary browser for streaming.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

Edge was released unfinished. It's missing extension/plugin support and that's a big thing for a lot of people. MS will add that later they say.

Yes, Edge is essentially beta quality right now. But don't ever expect plugin support, because of security issues they're going away. Chrome is dropping plugin support in September. HTML-based extensions will be coming to Edge eventually.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Still using firefox, it just plain works. I never have a problem with crashing, stability, etc. As for people saying its slow, i dont know what is wrong with their system, but i cant notice any difference between speed in the broswers, they all load pages pretty much instantly. If its not instant, its communication with the web sit thats slow not the broswer(ie its slow in all browsers or fast in all browsers).

Chrome is just a big ol resource hog. But i do use it for certain things. Mainly when i dont want a web site loaded in the same process space as another web site on firefox. Then i load chrome and load that site there. Mainly use this for web sites that dont let you log in twice at the same time with different credentials.

And ie, just forget it, not using that garbage.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I want firefox to be able to use all cores of my CPU to render all the tabs I resume when it launches, instead of just 1 core. Chrome does it but Firefox's architecture doesn't allow for it. Would like to see Firefox really take advantage of SMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS