[SOLVED] MP600 Core vs MP600 Pro for gaming

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I am looking for a high capacity M.2 2280 SSD for gaming. Preferably 4TB.

Both of these are Gen 4 PCIe SSDs however, the Pro has significantly faster sequential read/write speeds.

MP600 Pro - Sequential Read/Write: 7000/6850 MB/s ($1240 CAD)
MP600 Core - Sequential Read/Write: 4950/3950 MB/s ($795 CAD)

Just out of curiosity, would either of these provide an improvement in load times compared to a Gen 3 PCIe SSD? Either if the answer is yes or no, I am still going to go with a Gen 4 PCIe SSD as there aren't many good options for 4TB M.2 2280 SSDs. When I say "good option", I am referring to an SSD with good price to performance ratio as well as a reputable brand name.

For example, the cheapest SSD that fits my needs is the ADATA XPG 8100. The sequential read/write speeds are 3500/3000 MB/s and the price is only $700 CAD. Now consider this... I will be using a 10% discount coupon on the Corsair store, so the $795 CAD for the Core becomes $715.50 and the $1240 for the Pro becomes $1116.

I don't think I could justify getting the ADATA XPG 8100 over the MP600 Core. Even if the Core was a PCIe Gen 3 SSD and had the exact same sequential read/write as the XPG 8100, I would still pay the extra $15.50 for the Corsair brand (I trust this brand with my life).

Anyway, now that I've got that little tangent out of the way... To sum everything up, these are my most important questions:
  1. JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY, NOT ACTUALLY IMPORTANT: Will either of these SSDs provide improved load times that are actually noticeable as compared to a PCIe Gen 3 SSD?
  2. Which of the SSDs between the Pro and the Core offer better price to performance for the purpose of gaming?
  3. Do I need to worry about thermal throttling for either of these SSDs? I will be setting up a custom loop and the water block for either of these SSDs is only $50 CAD. It is such a low price that if it gives any benefit at all, I would set it up. However, I've heard liquid cooling an SSD is basically redundant. Any thoughts?
Oh, and I forgot to mention the Core uses QLC whereas the Pro uses TLC. As far as I know, the speed of the QLC SSD will slow down as it fills up. I am not sure how much of an impact this has on the Core though.

Last edited: