MS FS Team Announces Survey

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,microsoft.public.simulators,rec.aviation.simulators (More info?)

See the front page announcement on AVSIM today. Just posted.

--
Best Regards,

Tom Allensworth
Publisher,
AVSIM Online
Flight Simulation's Premier Internet Resource!
-------------------------------------
http://www.avsim.com
email: tom@avsim.com
-------------------------------------
See the rankings of your favorite Sim
Web Sites:
http://www.avsim.com/pages/rank_complete.html

Here's how MS describes the survey. They're not asking for your
opinions. They want to watch you while you sim! Wonder what it will do
to framerates?

-- quote begins here:

Thanks for your interest in helping out the Flight Simulator team. We
are looking for individuals who use Flight Simulator 2004 and who will
let us automatically collect data on how they use the product.

The Flight Simulator team is interested in improving our products to
make them more fun and satisfying to use. We are exploring how people
use the simulator when they’re at home, in the comfort of familiar
surroundings. If you’re selected to take part in this study, you’ll be
asked to install files on your home computer that will automatically
collect basic information every time you use Flight Simulator 2004.
This data will be sent to us every time you exit Flight Simulator and
you’ll have an opportunity to provide feedback about the session you’ve
just finished through a short web survey.

The only data that will be sent to Microsoft is the information
concerning the Flight Simulator 2004 session you just completed and
your current computer settings, such as your computer’s RAM and
processor speed.

In order to participate in this study you need to have a few things:

1) A copy of Flight Simulator 2004

2) A broadband connection for the computer you use to run Flight
Simulator.

3) You also need to be running one of the following versions of
Windows on your computer; Windows 2000, Windows XP Home or Windows XP
Professional.

If you would like to be considered for participation in this Flight
Simulator 2004 study, please take a few minutes to complete this
survey.

Keep in mind that there are no right or wrong answers to the survey.
All answers will be kept strictly confidential, and your answers will
be combined with everyone else's and used for research purposes only.

-- quote ends here

william

"Tom Allensworth" <tom@REMOVETHISavsim.com> wrote in message
> See the front page announcement on AVSIM today. Just posted.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Tom Allensworth
> Publisher,
> AVSIM Online
> Flight Simulation's Premier Internet Resource!
> -------------------------------------
> http://www.avsim.com
> email: tom@avsim.com
> -------------------------------------
> See the rankings of your favorite Sim
> Web Sites:
> http://www.avsim.com/pages/rank_complete.html

Lets hope FS2006 runs better than he survey :) Must be over loaded
Bill

Arthur

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,microsoft.public.simulators,rec.aviation.simulators (More info?)

Hmm........not sure I want anyone out there in cyberland watching me fly.
It's hard enough for ME to watch me fly. I'll pass.

Arthur

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message

> "Tom Allensworth" <tom@REMOVETHISavsim.com> wrote in message
>> See the front page announcement on AVSIM today. Just posted.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Tom Allensworth
>> Publisher,
>> AVSIM Online
>> Flight Simulation's Premier Internet Resource!
>> -------------------------------------
>> http://www.avsim.com
>> email: tom@avsim.com
>> -------------------------------------
>> See the rankings of your favorite Sim
>> Web Sites:
>> http://www.avsim.com/pages/rank_complete.html
>
> Lets hope FS2006 runs better than he survey :) Must be over loaded
> Bill

Arthur

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,microsoft.public.simulators,rec.aviation.simulators (More info?)

People already make simulator programs using the talent you
mentioned.....and if you're financially prosperous, you might be able to
afford one. Sorry I can't provide a name of one of these programs, but I'm
sure Google can.

Arthur

(SNIPPY)

stevej wrote:
> Call me cynical, but I think MS might be looking at how many add-ons
> people have installed and are using this information to evaluate if a
> 2006 version is commercial viable. My view is nope it aint !
>
> Steve

Well you're cynical Steve! So there I've said it!

I think they are looking to get some idea of the type of customer base so
that they can concentrate on the most commercially viable improvements for
the next issue. I have been involved in market research and that is what I
would do. Personally, I have answered the questionaire because I welcome the
chance of some input direct however small.

Cheers,

Quilly

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,microsoft.public.simulators,rec.aviation.simulators (More info?)

Hi Quill;

You are exactly correct. MS sent this survey out to the beta team with
comments before releasing it to the public. It's simply a tool to determine
the type of sim activity favored by the end user so that MS can concentrate
on the areas of interest rather than going off in a direction that will
waste both their resources and the communities computer resources.
With a program as interest diversified as MSFS, they have to compromise with
where they want to go with it and are caught naturally between the market
base and average available computer resources available to the end user.
Dudley
> stevej wrote:
>> Call me cynical, but I think MS might be looking at how many add-ons
>> people have installed and are using this information to evaluate if a
>> 2006 version is commercial viable. My view is nope it aint !
>>
>> Steve
>

> Well you're cynical Steve! So there I've said it!
>
> I think they are looking to get some idea of the type of customer base so
> that they can concentrate on the most commercially viable improvements for
> the next issue. I have been involved in market research and that is what I
> would do. Personally, I have answered the questionaire because I welcome
> the chance of some input direct however small.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

drifter

Distinguished
May 15, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,microsoft.public.simulators,rec.aviation.simulators (More info?)

Oh geez, we're sunk :( What do you want General Public?

Ans. Everything. and it has to run on a 286. And look like Top Gun,
and be less than $20 .. strike that .. be free for DL.

or

Ans. The most sinkingly, boring, over the top precise flight
simulator that is plug and play ready with a 6 DOF motion table, for
less than $50 with aboslutely zero bugs and compromises that I agree
with.

Obviously, this is hyperbole. I would prefer that the MSFS dev team
be active users in communities to get a real feel for the ebb and flow
of desires coupled with feed back from the support people to gauge
where the development dollars go rather than do polls. They should
have a design on where they want to go. Not put their finger in the
air and see which way the wind is blowing (today).

But, I did the poll. And if anyoneis listening I want better ATC, nav
aides, airport scenery and environments. Leave the flight models and
air plane models for the after market developers :)