msata connector for satellite p75 a7100

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I recently bought a laptop from Toshiba that lists 3 hard drives in the BIOS but only has 2 bays. The original configurable P70-ABT2G22 came with an msata connector but mine does not. I was wondering why my BIOS lists 3 hard drives since it only came with two? Can I add an msata connector by soldering one where it should be? Will it work if I try it? Any help would be appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan

Highly doubtful. I can't say 100% no, but if it is not configured that way out of the box...99.9% no.

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

There are 2 bays on the bottom. Drives 2 and 3 as they are listed in the BIOS are filled. One with SSD and the other with a mechanical one. Hard drive 1 is suppose to be the msata. It shows up in the BIOS but there is no connector on the motherboard. I opened it up and checked! The P75 is identical to the P70 but without the msata connector.

If the BIOS recognizes it, I don't understand why soldering a connector onto the motherboard to look like the P70 wouldn't work?

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I don't know where to buy or find one and I am a computer novice, unfortunately. Aren't all msata connectors the same. My brother is very computer literate and I'm sure he could do it!

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

No, I don't but can get one. Where can I get the connector?

USAFRet

Titan

"computer literate" does not automatically translate into being able to surface mount a new connector, and having the proper equipment to do it.

Additionally, does the whole motherboard chipset and cooling support a new device in that location?

Lastly...you would completely kill any warranty on this.

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I don't know, but if the p70 does, the p75 probably does as well. But basically, you're saying its not worth it? Right?

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I bought this laptop because I wanted a 17 inch with a 1080 screen an msata and 2 hard drives. I feel cheated out of 1 hard drive and I can't find any thing else reasonably priced. I don't want a Qosmio or Alienware!

the mSATA connector is not accessible from the outside, you will have to open the laptop case.

also some motherboards don't use a physical mSATA connector, but mount the SSD chips directly onto the motherboard.

if this is the case on your motherboard, then that why you see a third drive.

warehouse553

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I've opened it and it looks exactly like the p70 but without the connector. Toshiba should've included the connector, it wouldnt have costed that much! I guess I'll try to return it but I don't know of any laptops that meet my specifications under $1,000! Thanks anyway you guys!