MSDN Subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBKVanguard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I purchased two Win 7 Ultimate Retail licenses off eBay - listed as NEW and unused.
Seller then advises - no packaging or COA - but selling keys from a volume license

I rang MS - the sales team advise that the keys are MSDN licences and not the retail version, however confirm valid keys and no issue with me using.

I advise the seller who 'didn't know', and who then modifies his ebay listing to declare these are MSDN licenses and no packaging - I pay him to send a DVD of software.

Two weeks late, no discs! - great! - Now to download the software, install then activate.

Further research on net reveals that there is an expiry on MSDN licenses - that I may have as little as 60 days use from activation and then the keys are no longer valid!

If I install and later software was no longer valid - this will likely be outside preiod I can dispute on eBay.
I have neither activated product or installed software - should I return to seller for refund?

Is my product bound to expire shortly, and so not worth installing?

And just in case this chap is re-selling the same keys over and over -
The two I purchased end with 699C2, and also MRDMD

Any comments appreciated

Solution
The keys offered via MSDN and Technet are Retail licenses. These keys do not expire, but as it has already been stated, anyone who purchases a Technet or MSDN subscription may not sell the keys they are given.

Return what you bought, get your money back and buy an OEM or retail license from a reputable seller, or purchase your own MSDN or Technet subscription if you have 3 or more computers that you want to put Windows 7 on.

daship

Distinguished
It is not legal for him to sell MSDN or Technet keys. There are 100s of people doing it, and Ebay is not the only place.

He knew from the begining what he was selling.

The keys do not expire as far as I know, they are full retail keys. I know for a fact technet keys do not expire. Also, before you think you really got hosed, you must know. Each key you bought can be activated 10 times, after the 10th activation the key will be useless, however if you want to use they keys on multiple machines do so right away before he sells the same key 10 times.

As you know for the price you paid over a legal key was a bargain and you got what you paid for and then some. As little as you paid, if you ever have issues with activation, you can find some other theif selling illegal keys at that time.

The keys offered via MSDN and Technet are Retail licenses. These keys do not expire, but as it has already been stated, anyone who purchases a Technet or MSDN subscription may not sell the keys they are given.

Return what you bought, get your money back and buy an OEM or retail license from a reputable seller, or purchase your own MSDN or Technet subscription if you have 3 or more computers that you want to put Windows 7 on.

Solution

JBKVanguard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Thanks to everybody for your informative and prompt replies - much appreciated.

Okay - so how do I purchase my own MSDN or technet subscription?

And would I want MSDN or Technet?

No, the keys never expire. Microsoft will blacklist keys they find out have been sold illegally, but the keys from my Technet subscription which I have never sold to anyone will never expire. By expire, I mean becoming unusable if you let your MSDN or Technet subscription lapse. Please do not confuse expiring with blacklisting.

JBKVanguard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Ok - I had called MS to check key was valid/legal and they told me it was an MSDN - this key may well now be blacklisted - possibly all they keys under that MSDS subscription? - is that right?

I visited the Technet site to look at purchasing - I note the absence of my country - Australia

Shall I purchase as USA, UK, other?

daship

Distinguished
If you purchase the technet for your everyday at home computer, youre violating the license agreement the same as the ebay seller, you just wont be profiting off of it.

I say keep what you got, and if one day your not activated, do something different.

daship

Distinguished

Read the license. Especially this part:

• Evaluation Software. One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. If the evaluation software comes with its own license agreement, this agreement will control. If that other license agreement gives you additional rights that do not conflict with express limitations in this agreement, you also have those rights.

Evaluation is try before you buy, these are supposed to be for it techs, not home users. You are expected to buy a license after evaluating it.

By all means use it like you want. I do. I was just saying, if hes so worried about the other guy, it dont make it right for him to violate it also.

daship

Distinguished
Save you money the odds of the key being blacklisted are slim to none.

I personally do have a technet subscription, that I got for "FREE" it expires soon, 1st year almost up. I plan on renewing as it will only cost me $149 USD.

I have a buddy that wont pony up the $199 to buy one so he gets all his keys at, http://www.wholesalekey.net/ he has bought several, I suspect these guys are selling technet keys or VLK keys. What they are selling is not legal, but are full version legit retail keys.

Then how do you explain number 5 in the Technet Subscriptions FAQ?:

5. Can I use evaluation software received in my TechNet Subscription on my devices in my home?
The TechNet Subscription license terms grant one user the right to install the program software on any devices, including those located at his or her home, but the user must fully comply with all the license terms no matter where the device is located. In other words, one user may install and use the evaluation software, only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating environment, a staging or production environment, or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. You may not use the evaluation software for software development or in an application development environment.

Microsoft does not define the limitation of the evaluation period in their TechNet license agreement.

daship

Distinguished

but the user must fully comply with all the license terms no matter where the device is located. In other words, one user may install and use the evaluation software, only to evaluate it.

If you cant comprehend English, thats your problem.

I can comprehend English just fine.

I spoke with a Microsoft Technet rep directly about this. Software provided though Technet can be installed on any system so long as it is owned by the person who purchased the subscription. The rep confirmed that no additional licenses need to be purchased after installing and using a license through TechNet, unless an evaluation period is defined. Since no period is defined in the Technet license agreement, users have perpetual evaluation rights on all TechNet software, unless it is otherwise stated in the license for a particular piece of software.

Ever notice how an unactivated copy of Windows is still fully functional for 30 days? This is exactly the same concept, minus the 30 day limit.

No. As I said, Technet subscribers are given perpetual evaluation rights. The software and evaluation rights will never expire. What will happen if your subscription lapses, is your access to the TechNet website to download software, and view existing/request new keys will be removed, until you renew your subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS