MSDN Subscription

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBKVanguard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I purchased two Win 7 Ultimate Retail licenses off eBay - listed as NEW and unused.
Seller then advises - no packaging or COA - but selling keys from a volume license

I rang MS - the sales team advise that the keys are MSDN licences and not the retail version, however confirm valid keys and no issue with me using.

I advise the seller who 'didn't know', and who then modifies his ebay listing to declare these are MSDN licenses and no packaging - I pay him to send a DVD of software.

Two weeks late, no discs! - great! - Now to download the software, install then activate.

Further research on net reveals that there is an expiry on MSDN licenses - that I may have as little as 60 days use from activation and then the keys are no longer valid!

If I install and later software was no longer valid - this will likely be outside preiod I can dispute on eBay.
I have neither activated product or installed software - should I return to seller for refund?

Is my product bound to expire shortly, and so not worth installing?

And just in case this chap is re-selling the same keys over and over -
The two I purchased end with 699C2, and also MRDMD

Any comments appreciated

Solution
The keys offered via MSDN and Technet are Retail licenses. These keys do not expire, but as it has already been stated, anyone who purchases a Technet or MSDN subscription may not sell the keys they are given.

Return what you bought, get your money back and buy an OEM or retail license from a reputable seller, or purchase your own MSDN or Technet subscription if you have 3 or more computers that you want to put Windows 7 on.
Status
Not open for further replies.