MSFT Donates 'Ultimate Gamerooms' to Sick Kids

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Charity is something that you do because YOU want to help others not some contest to make people raise they're hope and then it's gone. This is something that should not be done in public but with a little secrecy and if they would have donated this equipment and said nothing and then when the news would have reached the ears of everyone the reaction would have been to applaud the way they decided to "do business".They spent $100M on a campain to promote something now they could have spent $1.7M and be all over the news.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
[citation][nom]Andraxxus[/nom]Charity is something that you do because YOU want to help others not some contest to make people raise they're hope and then it's gone. This is something that should not be done in public but with a little secrecy and if they would have donated this equipment and said nothing and then when the news would have reached the ears of everyone the reaction would have been to applaud the way they decided to "do business".They spent $100M on a campain to promote something now they could have spent $1.7M and be all over the news.[/citation]

That is exactly what i'm talking about. They dont setup billboard posters saying "look how much we give away". People report Microsoft news anyway and find ways to turn an act of charity into them being selfish.

STFU
STFU
STFU

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]backbydemand[/nom]That is exactly what i'm talking about. They dont setup billboard posters saying "look how much we give away". People report Microsoft news anyway and find ways to turn an act of charity into them being selfish.STFUSTFUSTFU[/citation]

I think it's a bit naive to think Microsoft isn't aware that they will get free advertisement out of it, even though they technically are not the ones pushing it.

That being said.. who cares?! It's still a good thing for these people regardless of Microsoft's actual motives behind it. And it's not as if their possible motives are dooming anything else. Heck more companies should follow suit, that is of course assuming Microsoft is actually doing this for advertisement (which I'm not sure of either way).

Would it really be that bad if a bunch of companies started advertising through charity?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
It always humors me how much people can not see eye to eye....

All you haters here need to stop being ignorant and read up their charitable work, it is impressive to say the least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_&_Melinda_Gates_Foundation
"Bill and Melinda Gates, along with the musician Bono, were named by TIME as Persons of the Year 2005 for their charitable work."

Maybe instead of hacking Microsoft you should go donate $5 to something... Or better yet an hour of your time. Until you donate, STFU.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]deathblooms2k1[/nom]I think it's a bit naive to think Microsoft isn't aware that they will get free advertisement out of it, even though they technically are not the ones pushing it.That being said.. who cares?! It's still a good thing for these people regardless of Microsoft's actual motives behind it. And it's not as if their possible motives are dooming anything else. Heck more companies should follow suit, that is of course assuming Microsoft is actually doing this for advertisement (which I'm not sure of either way).Would it really be that bad if a bunch of companies started advertising through charity?[/citation]
Free advertising or not, they still donate shit while we sit back on our asses doing nothing. They also have a promotion right now where they are trying to get people to upgrade from IE6 to IE8 and donating to food banks. Is there an alterior motive? Yes. There are always motives other for being charitable, even if it is to make ourselves feel better. Microsoft is using charity for many reason but they are still doing it. I think I would rather see them doing this than needlessly spending money on poor commercials (Jerry Seinfeld anyone?) or other advertising methods.

uronacid

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Charity is charity. Microsoft has done plenty for charity. When given something, why is it that instead of being thankful the needy tend to beg for more?

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Major7Up[/nom]Free advertising or not, they still donate shit while we sit back on our asses doing nothing. They also have a promotion right now where they are trying to get people to upgrade from IE6 to IE8 and donating to food banks. Is there an alterior motive? Yes. There are always motives other for being charitable, even if it is to make ourselves feel better. Microsoft is using charity for many reason but they are still doing it. I think I would rather see them doing this than needlessly spending money on poor commercials (Jerry Seinfeld anyone?) or other advertising methods.[/citation]

I'm almost positive you did not read the rest of my post.

G

Why does anyone feel the need to say Microsoft is stingy/selfish/greedy when they are giving away money? Any time a wealthy entity doesn't practically empty their pockets, people are quick to attack them as being selfish. Yes, it's a small amount to M$ in relative terms, but the Bill and Linda Gates Foundation gives has received astronomical amounts of money from Bill's own pockets, in addition to the charitable causes we likely don't know about. So it's really grossly reductive to say they're stingy just because this one particular reported charitable donation is a less than the average American household earns in one year. I doubt the kids that are enjoying the games and other electronics would be so quick to find fault with Microsoft.

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
M$ didn't really donate anything (before you break out the Flame Throwers listen) MS is doing this for the PR and they need all the ++ to their PR they can get, consider this free advertising for MS for the TINY cost of 30k they get reams and reams of free press for what they paid for those silly commericals with signfield(sp) they could have paid to give to all 170 hostipals 10X over.
I am not ANTI M$ I don't wear a red hat and I do use IE8 but I am a realiest I know this is for the PR nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.