MSFT Founder Sues Google, Apple, eBay, YouTube

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
So, good ole' Paul has the internet patented. Well, Toms has a search engine, and they alert users of items of current interest.I dont have a clue whatever the 2nd and 3rd patents are. But, seriously, the guy just gave away half his fortune, does he already think the billions he has left is too little?!

bpislife

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Steve Jobs should counter-sue for Paul stealing the MAC OS with Windows
Google should sue him for Bing.
Yahoo should sue him for the fun of it
Facebook should de-friend him
AOL can't sue anyone they are broke
Officemax, depot and staples shouldn't even show up in court
Netflix should give him a free subscription
YouTube should counter by re-releasing the video of Windows 98 getting a BSOD when first being shown.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I usually don't wish ill, but I think it would be a nice gesture for the big 11 companies to pay for his medical bills should he suffer a massive aneurysm before going to court.

And then were they to do as "bpislife" has stated, then it would be perfect. :) (btw, that post was hilarious)

kamen

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Paul Allen has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and he's dying. What a better time to show the world what kind of person you are than to go scorched earth when you won't be around for the blowback. One mans last swing of the scepter of power. Remember me, for I was here.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Those patents are all protecting against the use of the Internet. If you use the internet, you are infringing. Funny, since just last week I wondered why America isn't the richest country in the world, as we invented the thing most countries are dependent upon for their economy. Sad that we're suing ourselves, rather than the other countries.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Say I made a patent to open the garage door with my phone. On the plus side, I can sue everybody that makes products with that idea and make myself rich, or at least well-off. On the down side, I am making a patent out of what the patenting office would call an obvious invention. Since obvious is in the minds of a jury and clever lawyers, I no longer need a good idea, I just need a good lawyer.
In the process, technologist, who are in short supply given that most of the population has trouble learning logic, algebra, probability, and calculus; In our quest for money are giving all the booty to the Lawyers, which although a respectable profession, it posses no as great a challenge to master, and certainly does not grow the economy the way a new battery, or an AI algorithm would.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Yes it still can be reason that "Innovation not litigation" but then that's what patent is all about "I am the first one for that" and you just copied my homework.

[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]Lawyers are taking the big bucks now days.[/citation]
Fixed for you. Lawyers don't "make" anything (not counting waste products of metabolism, of course).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I should make a boatload of vauge patents about using (insert application category) on cell phones then wait 10 years and file suit against everyone in the world. Sooner or later the court system will realize the patent system is fudged, but onyl after the lawyers finish destroying everything it was supposed to stand for.[/citation]
Just to clarify the patent system, the above used example of
-- U.S. Patent No. 6,757,682, for "Alerting Users to Items of Current Interest."
That is not the extent of the patent, that is the title.
After the title will be huge reams of information and technical stuff.
Just so all the people who say that vague and random patents are out there, well, they are a bit more complicated than you think.

The patents seem to cover a search enabled video player. IE if you searching for news in the middle of a news cast said player will start in the middle. I have yet to see such a smart video. The rest of the patents are crap because they basically rip off tap player, VCR, and old video laser disks which predate these patents. IE the fastforward, rewind, and skip functions.

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I should make a boatload of vauge patents about using (insert application category) on cell phones then wait 10 years and file suit against everyone in the world. Sooner or later the court system will realize the patent system is fudged, but onyl after the lawyers finish destroying everything it was supposed to stand for.[/citation]

The courts know it is fudged. But without all of these ridiculous lawsuits... How many lawyers and judges would be out of work? They don't want to stop them. In fact, they want to keep them coming. And always will.

Status
Not open for further replies.