MSFT Selling 7 Copies of Windows 7 Every Second

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Who cares? Do you judge OS X sales by the box, or rather, by the upgrade? A purchased copy is a purchased copy, no matter how it was obtained.[/citation]
you cannot say that an os is successful when users don't get to select the os installed. just ask vista users out there....
the real measure for an os success is how much people choose it, not got it without the chance to select.
OSX is not taken in account even as there is no possibility to officially buy it without an mac attached to it.

[/citation]

anotherzen

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mediv42[/nom]my GOD thats incredible!I thought no WAY are they selling more than 6 copies per second! I mean, clearly 5 per second is the gold standard for new operating systems - but SEVEN??? INCONCEIVABLE![/citation]

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
My work skipped Vista but is now implementing Windows 7. I suspect that corporate and academic customers who are finally leaving XP (ie, volumelicense customers) are probably a large force driving sales.

Along the lines of OEMs, Windows 7 Starter on netbooks might be another big factor. (Was it Microsoft that did a good job killing linux on a netbooks, the cost to customize linux to the netbook, or consumer ignorance of open source alternatives for Microsoft products that caused this? The answer is probably all three, but it doesn't change the bottom line sales for Microsoft.)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dwave[/nom]Last Resort, that was sarcasm I believe.[/citation]
I have told people in here before that no-one understand sarcasm, irony or satire unless it is dressed up in a gigantic clown outfit with a billboard saying "THIS IS SARCASM", the italics on the word must were obviously too subtle...

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
That's really quite amazing. At a conservative estimate of only $100 per license, that's $15 BILLION in sales so far. I think they might be making a profit at this point.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]babachoo[/nom]That's really quite amazing. At a conservative estimate of only $100 per license, that's $15 BILLION in sales so far. I think they might be making a profit at this point.[/citation]
I only paid £30 for mine (that's $45 in US money) as the missus bought it me on the student program. Plus copies bundled with new machines won't have retail price. But still, even at 2/3rds the price that's $10 billion.
That's all gravy....

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Yeah and 95%+ is with a new PC. Last time I checked MS and Fed are still buddy buddy. NSA co-authored Vista and 7 so I trust MS as much as I do the FEDS, none.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
My only question is where all the guys are that were on these forums only a year ago saying that Windows 7 and MS will fail. Hmm? I remember who you are! Come out!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
They used to say it wasn't worth Bill Gate's time to bend over and pick-up a $100 bill off the ground. I wonder what the threshold is for Balmer? And that picture ...you'd think he scored some hot pr0n on the web.

Roten67

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I wonder what constitutes as a sale. OEMs buy in bulk.[/citation]

Licenses constitute sales anthing with a COA has one, you may have 7 million DVDs with Windows 7 on but only one License, does not mean sold 7 million, just 1, M$ still owns the software, we are only paying for a license to use it

G

I like many others got my Win 7 from a new laptop. I'm using Win 7 and have learned a lot about it. But if I were to switch back to XP, I would not lose even 1% of productivity. Yes Windows 7 is good, but not essential over XP. It doesn't provide me with anything I didn't already have. The one thing which is nice is the windows search, but that could have been easily added to xp. There are many scenarios where I find Windows 7 slows me down. Like when trying to find your documents, with all the layers of folders and also the dysfunctional view (where folders don't remember view settings like XP did).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS