MSI 1080 Duke coil wine? after upgrade?

Sinlol

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
So I know that coil whine has to do with GPU and PSU configurations.
Heres the thing, I had a i5 6600k/msi 1080 with a z170-a mbd and a 650 gold+ psu.
today I upgraded to a z370-a and a i7-8700k with the same gpu and psu.

I booted up wow and I get high fps now, like 200-500 fps and I get coil whine... whats the deal? I was careful with all my hardware so i dont think i broke anything or did I?

Solution
It's hard to say what is the root cause of the coil whine. Could it be the PSU? Sure. Could it just as well be something else? Of course. If the card is new, the best advice I could give would be to allow for a break in period and see if the whine subsides somewhat or it it continues on or increases. At that point, you'll know whether it's a keeper or needs to go back.

As a side note, should you have an alternate PSU at your disposal that has a bit more power available to try, you can always see if that makes any difference. I'm not suggesting you buy one, so don't take it as that.
I have the same card (but the OC version) running with my FX8350 with an 850w PSU and can't say I've heard any coil whine from it. Coil whine isn't necessarily something you can avoid: It happens or it doesn't happen. There's no way to know whether you're going to get hit with it or not. Is it really audible to the point to where it's got you thinking about an RMA?

I'll check mine when I get home. That said, I've got a lot of fans in my case which may drown out any noise if it's present. Your situation may differ.

Sinlol

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

well heres the thing, it never had coil whine before, but it didnt get to push out the fps it does now.
it may have had smal coil whine, i defintely heard it when i played rust but it was minimal cause rust locks ur fps at 100.
its not really audible until the 300+ fps without headphones on.

Some report that changing psu fixed their issue (only like budget ones to higher quality), do you feel any vibraton of gpu , I do on my rx 480 as the coil whines big time xD, fixed by plugging dedicated speakers with active amp and hardly notice it.
As many suggest try rmaing card, if not, it will big you untill you upgrade.

It's hard to say what is the root cause of the coil whine. Could it be the PSU? Sure. Could it just as well be something else? Of course. If the card is new, the best advice I could give would be to allow for a break in period and see if the whine subsides somewhat or it it continues on or increases. At that point, you'll know whether it's a keeper or needs to go back.

As a side note, should you have an alternate PSU at your disposal that has a bit more power available to try, you can always see if that makes any difference. I'm not suggesting you buy one, so don't take it as that.

Solution