MSI 970 GAMING VRM heatsink?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
I have a AMD FX 6300 with a motherboard where the VRM's aren't heatsinked, so it heats up really quickly which causes enourmous framerate drops.
Is the MSI 970 GAMING the motherboard I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Yup. first off without heatsinks to dissipate heat extra fans may slow the problem SLIGHTLY but not enough to notice. And it...

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

My case & psu arrived yesterday and we've put it together today. From what I've played now it finally works like it's supposed to.

Only 1 more question; I have 4 fans. the in the back i've plugged into the fan header next to my CPU cooler fan header. The 1 in the front I've plugged directly into the PSU. But those uptop I can't plug into anything. Should I get fan splitters, and how many?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There should be 4 total fan connectors on the board (not including the CPU). You can plug 3 pin fans into 4 pin connectors. if for some reason you can't reach all the connectors with the wires you have you can use a splitter off 1 or 2 connectors (just not the CPU one).

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

Where are those 4 pin connectors located? Can't seem to find 'em. Only the 1 right next to the CPU cooler, which is a 3 pin.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Not sure, should say in the manual. I read it on MSI's specs site. Unfortunately the picture is too dark.

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

I asked in a different thread and someone answered that I only have 2 fan headers (1 CPU & 1 case fan.) Can I use fan splitters on the case fan header? and how many should I use?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/970-GAMING.html#hero-specification

Click on "Detail" under the Specifications, then scroll to Internal I/O Connections:

-1 x 4-pin CPU fan connector
-2 x 4-pin system fan connectors
-2 x 3-pin system fan connectors

Heres a link to the manual:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970-GAMING.html#down-manual

Check out page 1-20 it will show you all the fan connections.

There is no way in the world a modern ATX motherboard only has 1 case fan connection, even mATX boards have at least 2. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about.

If you use a splitter anyway you should only split it once, so run 2 fans from 1 header thats it.

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

I didnt buy the MSI 970. I still have my MSI GM760 P23 FX

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

I've been playing alot of BF4 and I noticed a slight change in performance (from 60 to 30-40). So I went into task manager and put BF4.exe on High Priority. Just now I've played a match with HWINFO64 running on my other screen. It said that the CPU maximum spiked again to 255 C. My problem still isn't fixed.

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

I've been playing alot of BF4 and I noticed a slight change in performance (from 60 to 30-40). So I went into task manager and put BF4.exe on High Priority. Just now I've played a match with HWINFO64 running on my other screen. It said that the CPU maximum spiked again to 255 C. My problem still isn't fixed.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Theres no way it could ever spike to 255C it would literally melt down at that point.

Did you check for anything else that could be causing performance drops (such as a virus scan, Windows updates, etc)?

You may well need that motherboard, but I wouldn't mess with the priority, try to keep your readings consistent, so you can find whats driving the problem.

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

I've been playing Red Orchestra 2 for a good half an hour now and the CPU is sitting around 44 C with 48 at its max. I think messing with the priority was the problem.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats got to be a problem with the temp sensor or the software you are using. First off the system would reboot at 75 or 80c (I forget where the cutoff is exactly). If it somehow hit 200 it would crash and never start again.

The only things to use to measure temp would be AMD Overdrive, or like MSI Afterburner, which has Riva Statistics which is good too. AMD Overdrive measures Thermal Margin, basically the difference between the current temp and the max temp the processor will take (so the larger number the better).

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

I used AMD Overdrive and HWiNFO64 side by side while I was playing BF4 for about an hour.
HWiNFO64 reported that I hit 255 C, while AMD Overdrive said that I hit -185C.

Is this a motherboard flaw? https://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=982977 is this one better?

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

I read on some forums that MSI motherboards have poor thermal design. Is this true?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I don't agree, I think they are just as good as ASRock, and definitely better than gigabyte

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the MSI 970 which are also good?