Question MSI 970a-g46 usb tethering randomly disconnecting ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 17, 2022
Why is my MSI 970a-g46 disconnecting my phone when I use WiFi ?

Every phone I connect and share the wifi to my pc, it disconnects randomly even with different cable.

I have everything up to date and bios is at his latest.

I also have SSD issues it freezes randomly...

Windows 10/11 have the same issue and I'm currently using windows 10.

No one can help, it's been a problem here for years now...

Does a bios from a new board work on my board?

<<Edited for content by moderator>>

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Another idea came to me, and this is totally grasping at straws.
I noted that you say this works with other computers in the house. I am unsure if you can utilize Internet Connection Sharing with a USB tether...but...

On the system where this is disconnecting frequently, does it have a list of connections under your Network tab?
IE, has this PC been connected to a beacon, repeater, wireless access point that is still in use in the location and does not have internet? And to further that, were any of the possibly existing prior connections checked on the "connect automatically" tab?

Jan 17, 2022
Is this disconnecting in any way related to inactivity on the PC?

I used a program called "tether' some years ago in a location where I could not get internet and it would disconnect after just a small amount of time of inactivity.

No, i am active on it and it disconnects me from it when im using the wifi.
And when I'm not using the wifi it keeps working.

Jan 17, 2022
Is this disconnecting in any way related to inactivity on the PC?

I used a program called "tether' some years ago in a location where I could not get internet and it would disconnect after just a small amount of time of inactivity.
No, the programs i used did not work or removed wifi speed and added more latency with is bad

Jan 17, 2022
Another idea came to me, and this is totally grasping at straws.
I noted that you say this works with other computers in the house. I am unsure if you can utilize Internet Connection Sharing with a USB tether...but...

On the system where this is disconnecting frequently, does it have a list of connections under your Network tab?
IE, has this PC been connected to a beacon, repeater, wireless access point that is still in use in the location and does not have internet? And to further that, were any of the possibly existing prior connections checked on the "connect automatically" tab?

Your English is very hard to understand.

When you connect your phone to your pc via USB you have a pop-up asking if you want it to be a private network or public, and obviously, i tried both, and both disconnect.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your English is very hard to understand.

When you connect your phone to your pc via USB you have a pop-up asking if you want it to be a private network or public, and obviously, i tried both, and both disconnect.

My apologies. I took French for 3 years back in high school and at this point know about enough to say hello. Use it or lose it, they say.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
4g cell phone data but i don't think that this is the problem
Or is it ?
That isn't what would normally be referred to as "wi-fi". That term is usually used for a home/school/work wireless network, managed by a local wireless router.

What you are describing is wireless tethering, not wi-fi. Should still work to provide internet access for your PC.

Jan 17, 2022
That isn't what would normally be referred to as "wi-fi". That term is usually used for a home/school/work wireless network, managed by a local wireless router.

What you are describing is wireless tethering, not wi-fi. Should still work to provide internet access for your PC.
If you find a fix let me know

Jan 17, 2022
I think something is burned under the big MSI logo heatsink..

I have to check it.
Downgrading the pc to windows 8.1 gives you more MHz on your
DDR3 on taskbar but doesn't give more FPS than windows 10

TRENDING THREADS