[SOLVED] MSI Afterburner causing system heatup

MightyMustachios

Prominent
Mar 31, 2019
So i recently bought a Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC. I wanted to check the benchmarks just to check the fps and temps. I saw cpu temps around 93 degree Celsius and gpu around 83 degrees Celsius. The GPU has a max temp of 83 which i checked online but my cpu going to 90 degrees got me worried. I had recently applied thermal paste and installed the cpu cooler properly and last time i checked the tenps were fine. The temps went crazy while I was playing Odyssey and RDR2. Other games were giving fairly normal temps. I tried a different minitoring tool the nzxt Cam and also a few other monitoring tools which were showing normal temps. Is it MSI afterburner which is boosting my components or something? I did not make any changes in Afterburner, did not fiddle with the fan curve or the temps or any of that. Does this mean Afterburner does this by default.? My case also does not have decent airflow but the problem was with msi afterburner. Can someone explain to me how afterburner works? Are the default values set to overclock or boost your components without your knowledge?

Solution
Afterburner does not do anything on it's own. You would've had to initiated something first - for example, trying a new core and memory overclock and enabling the option to apply the overclock upon startup, and forgetting about it by mistake.

I suspect a software fight between Afterburner and Cam, or whatever other monitoring tools you're using - perhaps it's even your AV.
Too many of one thing is always bad.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Afterburner does not do anything on it's own. You would've had to initiated something first - for example, trying a new core and memory overclock and enabling the option to apply the overclock upon startup, and forgetting about it by mistake.

I suspect a software fight between Afterburner and Cam, or whatever other monitoring tools you're using - perhaps it's even your AV.
Too many of one thing is always bad.

Solution