News MSI: All 400-Series Motherboards Will Receive Ryzen 5000 Support

Ocean111

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
So,

An MSI B350 mobo, a ZEN 3 5600x, and nerd walk into a bar. Unfortunately there are only 3 bar stools in the pub and currently sitting there is a 1600x, 2600x, and 3600x.

The BIOS bar tender says to the nerd: : "We ain't got enough room! Take that fancy ZEN 3 chip to the new bar 450/550!

The nerd politely asks: What if we completely wipe out the BIOS on the B350, er throw the existing customers out? Then having downloaded a fresh AGESA COMBO PI V2 1.1.0.0 bios update, then we just make one big stool for our zen 3 chip to sit on? It is after all, the same socketed stool.

Would this work?

If there is not enough space to accommodate 4 generations of zen, what about just the one you be using?

Sorry for the analogy

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
So,

An MSI B350 mobo, a ZEN 3 5600x, and nerd walk into a bar. Unfortunately there are only 3 bar stools in the pub and currently sitting there is a 1600x, 2600x, and 3600x.

The BIOS bar tender says to the nerd: : "We ain't got enough room! Take that fancy ZEN 3 chip to the new bar 450/550!

The nerd politely asks: What if we completely wipe out the BIOS on the B350, er throw the existing customers out? Then having downloaded a fresh AGESA COMBO PI V2 1.1.0.0 bios update, then we just make one big stool for our zen 3 chip to sit on? It is after all, the same socketed stool.

Would this work?

If there is not enough space to accommodate 4 generations of zen, what about just the one you be using?

Sorry for the analogy
Unfortunately just like a chip company selling new chips, mobo makers rely on selling newer boards to survive. Thats the only issue. I am happy AMD is at least supporting the 400 series, whereas if it was intel, you know what would have happened.

Ocean111

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
This is the basis for my query:

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ake-cpus-intel-skylake-kaby-lake-motherboards

https://www.techpowerup.com/242073/...-work-stable-on-intel-100-200-series-chipsets

I hope some witch doctor can "smell what I'm steppin' in" and help us curmudgeonly frugal bunch who don't wanna invest in an entire new board.. Especially since AMD is now turning on their customer base with their pricing.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hardware unboxed mentioned in his review that PCIe 4 can be activated on 450 series motherboard and ASUS or MSI had actually done this as PCIe4 is a CPU feature and not a chipset feature to access the directly connected components like GPU etc. However AMD might have stepped in and disabled it. This shows how tech companies will step in to stop supporting a older system even though they are compatible. My sound blaster audigy soundcard puchased over 16 years ago works perfectly fine using Daniel K drivers. However creative stopped supporting it over 10 years ago and the newer pcie audigy is just the same old card with a pci to pcie bridge chip built in has full driver support from creative because its a newer card.

To be frank I cant blame them. They need to pay their employees, rents, bills, keep the R&D going and keep the shareholders happy. Not possible if they keep supporting the older hardware forever :)

Ocean111

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Hardware unboxed mentioned in his review that PCIe 4 can be activated on 450 series motherboard and ASUS or MSI had actually done this as PCIe4 is a CPU feature and not a chipset feature to access the directly connected components like GPU etc. However AMD might have stepped in and disabled it. This shows how tech companies will step in to stop supporting a older system even though they are compatible. My sound blaster audigy soundcard puchased over 16 years ago works perfectly fine using Daniel K drivers. However creative stopped supporting it over 10 years ago and the newer pcie audigy is just the same old card with a pci to pcie bridge chip built in has full driver support from creative because its a newer card.

To be frank I cant blame them. They need to pay their employees, rents, bills, keep the R&D going and keep the shareholders happy. Not possible if they keep supporting the older hardware forever :)

I can't blame millionaires for continuing to do millionaire things either.

However this is not my question...

Is it possible to created a bios update to allow zen 3 to work on previous chipsets.

I'm also asking this question on TPU

I'm just curious as it's been done before, sometimes when the corporations feet are held to the fire, only then they comply. https://www.techpowerup.com/254634/...-am4-longevity-promise-no-zen2-for-300-series

After the backlash, outrage, and pressure they came through.

I'm fully aware am4 was only promised three generations of support and they've fufilled their word. I'm only curious about the possibility, I really am uneducated about how BIOS works, so really I'm only curious to find someone like the modders in the links posted above who could inform us/me.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if it is possible to make a custom BIOS for 300 series, then i am sure someone will do it. the modders who make these type things love the challenge. however, don't expect perfect functionality on every board ever made. usually they put the effort into a handful of common mainstream boards and then move on to the next challenge.

though i am sure we'll see some work done, people are gonna be real disappointed when the cheap 320 board they bought 4 years ago gets no love. it's just probably not gonna happen.

honestly though if you already got a few years out of the board and want to move up to the new chip, then do it with a new board and sell the other as a mobo/cpu set. i buy a cpu/mobo knowing they will never be separated. by the time i'm ready for the upgrade, i go for the new board and whatever that brings to the table. i don't bother with trying to "future proof" a system as that is never really gonna happen. get a good 4 years out of it then move on and delegate the old system to whatever secondary role it moves to.

i've got 4 systems in the house and finally sent the old q6600 system to a friend after it slowly fell down the work tier in the house until it was just not needed anymore. is a great htpc for my friend and should work until it finally joins the great pc pile in the sky :)

Reactions: vinay2070