MSI AM1i Problem

Stelios GR

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
Building a new PC I chose the MSI A1i mobo. Very good looking card. CPU Athlon 5350, 4MB RAM. Problems started instantly, after I made some basic changes to BIOS (not overlocking) the mobo does not starts! It start only by clearing the CMOS. I turn it back and replaced with another one, still the very same problem. Now it's the third mobo I change and the problem remains the same. Any ideas please.

Stelios GR

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
thank you for your reply, I have already checked everything except the CPU which I consider it having no problem since I cannot return it. however this is a peculiar problem found in 3 consecutive mobos from MSI. I think this was the first and the last time I involved with AMD platform. Most likely are rubbish! .

I doubt it's the motherboard with 3 different ones, but if you got the exact same model each time, I'd try a different one.

You tried another power supply already? Good quality one?

Why did you pick that CPU anyway now? It's about the same speed as a almost 10 year old Core 2 Quad CPU from Intel.

Stelios GR

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
Thanks once again for your reply "hang-the-9"
Well, initially I suspected the problem had to do with the CMOS battery. I took it off the board and test it with the voltmeter. Is shows 3,3 volts, so therefore was OK. Afterward I disconnect all the peripherals i.e. hard disk, dvd drive, in addition all USB and audio connectors. And lastly I replaced the PSU with an ANTEC, but with no success. Now, the very last item left is the CPU. As I said I consider that the CPU it functions good. Unfortunately I cannot return it as I have opened the box, and does not shows any malfunction. However, I'm prepared to try another CPU, but the range for this mobo it somehow limited and this CPU is supposed to be the fastest in range. What you have to propose me as a CPU replacement? Thank you again for your time.

Yes you ran into a catch there picking this motherboard, the AM1 is a dead end with not a lot of upgrades and was designed to be a value board for value CPUs. There is only one CPU faster in AM1 range, which is not really worth getting. Did you contact the AMD for support or MSI?

Stelios GR

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
I picked up this motherboard as a replacement to an Asrock with an ATOM CPU embedded on board. It was the only board could be fitted in the small case I already have. No I have not contacted AMD or MSI so far. One other thing is that the MSI board seems to work after clearing CMOS with default settings only, but again Windows cannot be installed.

Maybe its a hard drive or drive cable issue, maybe RAM.