[SOLVED] MSI B350 Gaming Plus won't boot with Ryzen 5600G

Dec 4, 2021
Was just upgrading from a Ryzen 1600, figured it was time. Everything turns on fine but nothing on the monitors and the peripherals don't boot up. Started looking online and the board might not be compatible? Google is kind of giving mixed messages on that - ASRock boards might work, might not, others.....? Do I need to put the old CPU back in and update the bios or box it up and hope that Best Buy does returns on processors?

Solution
Was just upgrading from a Ryzen 1600, figured it was time. Everything turns on fine but nothing on the monitors and the peripherals don't boot up. Started looking online and the board might not be compatible? Google is kind of giving mixed messages on that - ASRock boards might work, might not, others.....? Do I need to put the old CPU back in and update the bios or box it up and hope that Best Buy does returns on processors?

Zen 3 processors like the 5600G aren't compatible with B350 motherboards. If it were, it would need a BIOS for it from MSI. You'd look on the boards support web page to find the BIOS version you'd need...but you won't find one for any 5000 (Zen 3) series processor.

If you absolutely need an APU for...

Zen 3 processors like the 5600G aren't compatible with B350 motherboards. If it were, it would need a BIOS for it from MSI. You'd look on the boards support web page to find the BIOS version you'd need...but you won't find one for any 5000 (Zen 3) series processor.

If you absolutely need an APU for it's internal GPU about the best you'll do is a 3400G, if you can find one. Otherwise a 3600 or 3600X might be a suitable CPU...again, if you can find one. Be sure to update BIOS to a version that supports either one before you swap CPU's.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 4, 2021
There's a page I hadn't seen yet, thank you. The other MSI pages looked like someone just hadn't updated them since the board came out - maybe they haven't, who knows. Was really hoping I could get this to work but doesn't sound like it will. I think only those ASRock boards MIGHT work and that's not what I've got. I'll try to return and get a 3000 Series instead.

I don't actually need the APU since I've got an RX 480 GPU, so I'll look to update my BIOS now that I've switched back to the 1600 and see what I can find in the 3000 series still lying around. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
There's a page I hadn't seen yet, thank you. The other MSI pages looked like someone just hadn't updated them since the board came out - maybe they haven't, who knows. Was really hoping I could get this to work but doesn't sound like it will. I think only those ASRock boards MIGHT work and that's not what I've got. I'll try to return and get a 3000 Series instead.

I don't actually need the APU since I've got an RX 480 GPU, so I'll look to update my BIOS now that I've switched back to the 1600 and see what I can find in the 3000 series still lying around. Thanks again.
R5 3600(x) would do just as well considering your GPU. You will still need to flash to newest BIOS.