[SOLVED] MSI B350 Tomahawk or Asus Prime B450M-A ?

Sep 9, 2021
I have MSI B350 Tomahawk with AMD Ryzen 5 1600. I want to replace CPU with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (and updating BIOS of course). And I have new Asusus Prime B450M-A. Should I stick with MSI motherboard and only replace CPU or should I replace CPU and MSI motherboard with ASUS motherboard?

Solution
I have MSI B350 Tomahawk with AMD Ryzen 5 1600. I want to replace CPU with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (and updating BIOS of course). And I have new Asusus Prime B450M-A. Should I stick with MSI motherboard and only replace CPU or should I replace CPU and MSI motherboard with ASUS motherboard?
If you could sell both of them, then go for a b550 pro4 or steel legend (or b550 mortar). I still personally choose B450M-a and update it to the latest bios, something to do before replacing the cpu:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on your list) like this:
unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios...
If you could sell both of them, then go for a b550 pro4 or steel legend (or b550 mortar). I still personally choose B450M-a and update it to the latest bios, something to do before replacing the cpu:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on your list) like this:
unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flash drive, plug it on top rear usb slot)
  • boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, choose amd ryzen balanced power plan and you may connect to internet. and reboot.
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP, make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files first (highlighted words), and do the steps by order.

Reactions: ipuljic
Solution
B450 MB would give you better handling for faster RAM than b350.
So..... what RAM do you have or plan to change to ? With 400 series chipset MB and 3000 series Ryzen you can easily go to 3600MHz RAM. Keep in mind that Ryzen just loves fast RAM.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Sep 9, 2021
B450 MB would give you better handling for faster RAM than b350.
So..... what RAM do you have or plan to change to ? With 400 series chipset MB and 3000 series Ryzen you can easily go to 3600MHz RAM. Keep in mind that Ryzen just loves fast RAM.

I have GSkill Flare 3200 MHZ 2 x 8 GB

In addition to better support for memory B450 boards, in general, have better VRM's to remain cool running Ryzen 3000 CPU's. And as well most of them (if not all) provide BIOS support even for 5000 series CPU's. I'd put the new CPU in the Prime B450M-A.

Reactions: CountMike