MSI b350 tomahawk + ryzen 7 1700 ez debug CPU fail LED on

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lewinator56

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
Just started building a new RYZEN setup, however, when i tested it, the CPU fail debug LED lit up on the motherboard, tried multiple power offs and ons, still persisted...

All of the other components on the board work fine, and the mother board looks to be working fine, the lights on it come on, power is supplied to the CPU fan, GPU turns on etc....

However unlike in a normal boot (with a CPU detected) the fans on the GPU spin then stop, whereas in this case they just spin, as if no control is coming through the PCIe slot...

I have tested each component, the GPU works, the RAM works and is on the QVL, the PSU is fine as was in my old build and had no problems, so was the GPU, i cannot however test the CPU as i do not have another AM4 motherboard.

As of currently, i have 2 options, RMA the CPU and MOBO or RMA the CPU only and wait until it has been tested to see if the MOBO is the problem or the CPU. Unfortunately, RMA'ing the CPU will be expensive, and from what i have read, it is more likely an issue with the motherboard than the CPU (no pins are bent, shows no signs of damage).

System:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700
MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz 2x8GB
PSU: XFX TS 750W

Solution
Oct 18, 2017
Similar problem here, CPU debug light turns on and cannot boot with:

- Ryzen 5 1600;
- MSI B-350 Tomahawk;
- GeIL Evo Potenza RAM, 3000MHz DDR-4 3000MHz (PC4-24000), 2x8GB (not considered as compatible by MSI for B-350 MoBo)
- GTX 1050 Ti.

Thought it was MoBo at first, got it RMA, but had same problem with the new one. Tried everything except switching to a different RAM or CPU. So maybe RAM is to blame?

Lewinator56

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017

yes, like i said earlier in the thread, i found out that the problem was the RAM.... thing is, until the board POST's you've got no idea what BIOS its on, and if its an earlier one, no-one knows what RAM is actually compatible, BUT, considering it only supports up to DDR4-2400MHz (i think, this may be different now, cant be bothered to check), there is a high probability that it wont support your RAM, even on a later BIOS revision.

Aug 19, 2019
I have had the same exact problem after using Ryzen Master to increase clock speed on my CPU. Every single time I use Ryzen Master, it this always happens. My mobo always blinks on the CPU or stays on (on the EZ Debug Led). I've tried reinstalling my CPU, taking out and replugging all of my power connectors, and I've also tried clearing CMOS multiple times, and nothing has worked. This has happened multiple times, and the solution would usually be to reinstall the CPU, which I've done multiple times, but this time it isn't working. I fear that I have damaged my mobo or CPU. (This happened when I tried going to max boost clock to 3.6GHz without changing voltage.)
Specs below:

Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B450M Gaming Plus
EVGA GTX 1660 Ti XC Black
2x8 Ballistix Sport DDR4 3200MHz
Corsair CX750M 80+ Bronze
Crucial MX500 250gb
Two WD 1tb HDDs