[SOLVED] MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - Black screen (no power on devices)

Feb 29, 2020
Hello everyone!

Yesterday I received my brand new PC and after 8 hours I got an issue. I installed everything, restarted, went to BIOS and turned on Game Boost. After 4 hours I restarted PC because of Win10 update and my screen turned black, keyboard and mouse had no light. On start CPU debug light turns on and off after a second or two. Other lights are off too.

What I did try:

• Turn off PC, PSU.
  • Pulled out bios battery.
  • Cleared CMOS with screwdriver (because I dont have jumper)
  • Pulled out ram, tried with 1, still nothing.
  • Pulled out GPU.
  • Pulled out SSD.
  • Tried to flash with latest bios version.
  • Checked all cables connection.

I spent whole night trying and nothing. I'm desperate already.

My setup:

• MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • PSU: Cooler Master Elite V3 600W
  • CPU Fan: Cooler Master HYPER 212 EVO
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
  • Crucial P1 M.2 SSD 1TB
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDr4

Really hope you can help me out of this. I'd really appreciate that.
Thank you

Solution
Ok, what I learned today.

1. You can jumper with power cord on and it actually works, without cord I tried hundred times and it didn’t work. Power cord on, plugin in jumper and press power button to reset.

2. Flashing BIOS as it is said in manual DOESN’T work. Renaming file to MSI.ROM DOESN’T work. You just drop original file from folder in your flash and then you can flash your BIOS.

3. Don’t buy anything from MSI, because you get a pain with newly purchased product and then they give you wrong instructions on problem solving.

MSI you own me 3 days of my life
Feb 29, 2020
Game Boost is really bad. I tried to enable it and my PC wouldn't post. But i fixed it after a CMOS reset. I have no idea what's going on here if a CMOS reset doesnt fix it
yeah this is weird, I tried everything. Maybe flashback didnt actually work? I used 32gb flash. Though when I did the whole process was ok, lights turned white and bios flash light was flashing. Though after it was finished, usb flash light was solid red.

You could try, but as previous comments said a simple CMOS clear should already have solved the problem.

EDIT: Just noticed your PSU as being a low quality unit. CoolerMaster are pretty well known for their not so great models. Your unit doesn't even have the 80+ white efficiency rating... on their website they're advertising 75% efficiency which is pretty bad. I can't find any detailed review about it, so I can't judge ripple numbers and components quality... but even at a first blind look it doesn't seem promising.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020
You could try, but as previous comments said a simple CMOS clear should already have solved the problem.
yeah, I can’t get what is the reason. Pretty sad I dont have a jumper, but it should work even with screwdriver. Will try to downgrade bios, this is my last resort.

Feb 29, 2020

EDIT: Just noticed your PSU as being a low quality unit. CoolerMaster are pretty well known for their not so great models. Your unit doesn't even have the 80+ white efficiency rating... on their website they're advertising 75% efficiency which is pretty bad. I can't find any detailed review about it, so I can't judge ripple numbers and components quality... but even at a first blind look it doesn't seem promising.
I hope you are right, will try to get better one and test it out. Thanks

Feb 29, 2020
Ok, what I learned today.

1. You can jumper with power cord on and it actually works, without cord I tried hundred times and it didn’t work. Power cord on, plugin in jumper and press power button to reset.

2. Flashing BIOS as it is said in manual DOESN’T work. Renaming file to MSI.ROM DOESN’T work. You just drop original file from folder in your flash and then you can flash your BIOS.

3. Don’t buy anything from MSI, because you get a pain with newly purchased product and then they give you wrong instructions on problem solving.

MSI you own me 3 days of my life

Solution