MSI B450M BAZOOKA or ASUS PRIME B450M-K ?

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
The title says it all.

Planning to get an Define Mini C and I'm stuck in the motherboard part.

I really care about temperatures and USB ports. For the case fans I will use an hub. But which one of them has better VRM phases, better VRM cooling and better overall quality?

So, what motherboard is better?

The MSI B450M BAZOOKA or the ASUS PRIME B450M-K ?

Solution

I think so...the one on-line etailer where I've seen it listed says they'll have stock in a week. We'll have to see though. If you're in a must-get situation, though, the Asrock AB450M Pro4 is gonna be a good mATX choice if Hardware Unboxed is to be believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWGzmbbimPw

Although it's mentioned, he can't say much about the Mortar cause he doesn't have one to look at either which is truly unfortunate. Still, one thing to consider is that B450 boards should come down a notch or two in price as B350 board...
Who knows . the b450 are running the latest agesa codes so the chances are good.

I would say at least 2933mhz, with the possibility of 3200.

There is not that much difference in real world performance.

I would not pay much extra for 3200mhz ram if 3000mHz is available cheaper.

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Well, here I found 3200Mhz RAM at an small price difference between 3000Mhz.

But if i put 3200Mhz RAM in the MOBO, will it down-clock it to 2933Mhz and I should overclock it again ?

All ddr4 has a base clock of 2133mhz.

Generally this will be default when first loading bios

You need to enable xmp for faster speeds.

I believe the bazooka has a 'memory try it' option in bios which will allow you to manually select ram speed.

The Asus board doesn't have heat sinks on the CPU FETS so it should be avoided if you care about temperature.

Bazooka does have a heatsink on CPU FET's but none on the SoC FET's. Are you planning on running an APU? Not many mATM boards have SoC FET heatsinks: AsRock's AB450M Pro4 comes first to mind.

If you're really concerned about VRM temperature, though, you might want to wait on the B450M Bazooka+ or B450M Mortar to come out. They have honest-to-God VRM heatsinks which will provide some seriously good VRM thermal control. Hopefully the Mortar, at least, shares VRM topology of the B450 Tomahawk and Pro Carbon, which is about as good as it's gonna get in B450 boards.

B450M Mortar also has two USB 3.1 gen2 ports, one of which is Ty. C and one Ty. A

chibamarco

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
I've searched the MSI B450M MORTAR on the site where I am buying my parts.

It has no reviews, and it is not in stock. But the price is here...

Does that mean that it will be available soon?

I think so...the one on-line etailer where I've seen it listed says they'll have stock in a week. We'll have to see though. If you're in a must-get situation, though, the Asrock AB450M Pro4 is gonna be a good mATX choice if Hardware Unboxed is to be believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWGzmbbimPw

Although it's mentioned, he can't say much about the Mortar cause he doesn't have one to look at either which is truly unfortunate. Still, one thing to consider is that B450 boards should come down a notch or two in price as B350 board stocks are depleted. So if you can wait, value is to be had!

It's very sad but the two motherboard quality and reputation leaders, Asus and Gigabyte, seem to have completely missed the boat on B450 as all their offerings are coming out second rate at best. Will be interesting to see what Biostar's are like when they get into the fray.

Solution