[SOLVED] MSI B550 A Pro will not post with all 4 sticks of ram in

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2022
Just built this rig. No issues with 2x 8gb Gskill Ripjaws V. When I insert the other two RAM sticks, no post and the CPU debug light comes on. When I remove the extra RAM sticks, light does not come on and system runs perfectly. I have tried reseating them. What in the world?
Hardware
Mobo: MSI B550 A Pro
CPU: Ryzen5 3600X
RAM: 2x 8gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3600MHz
GPU: RTX 2060 OC
PSU: EVGA 850 GA SUPERNOVA

Solution
Just built this rig. No issues with 2x 8gb Gskill Ripjaws V. When I insert the other two RAM sticks, no post and the CPU debug light comes on. When I remove the extra RAM sticks, light does not come on and system runs perfectly. I have tried reseating them. What in the world?
Hardware
With 2 sticks, try to update the bios to this one while also update the chipset driver to the latest from amd web, it should be ver 4.03.03., dont connect to internet until reboot finished after installing chipset driver (try to look up to control panel and see if amd chipset software is installed, if its installed then...
Hardware
With 2 sticks, try to update the bios to this one while also update the chipset driver to the latest from amd web, it should be ver 4.03.03., dont connect to internet until reboot finished after installing chipset driver (try to look up to control panel and see if amd chipset software is installed, if its installed then disconnect from internet, uninstall them, reboot and update the bios to the one i suggest, then install the latest chipset driver, reboot, and see on power plan if amd ryzen balanced is the main used power plan, then you're good to go to connect to internet and try to use 4 sticks again).

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Issue isn't the motherboard or the ram. Issue is the cpu. Ryzen 3000 and prior do not like 4 sticks. It messes with the Fclock, Mclock, Uclock timings if the ram is too fast. Which for that gen is around 2933MHz - 3200MHz. You won't be able to set 3600MHz on all 4 sticks without serious tampering and a whole lot of luck.

5000 series cpus have a slightly different architecture and way of dealing with ram, so do not have these issues, sometimes actually getting better results with 4 sticks.

Issue isn't the motherboard or the ram. Issue is the cpu. Ryzen 3000 and prior do not like 4 sticks. It messes with the Fclock, Mclock, Uclock timings if the ram is too fast. Which for that gen is around 2933MHz - 3200MHz. You won't be able to set 3600MHz on all 4 sticks without serious tampering and a whole lot of luck.

5000 series cpus have a slightly different architecture and way of dealing with ram, so do not have these issues, sometimes actually getting better results with 4 sticks.
the cpu itself sometimes causes it but if it's only jedec speed, it should be able to boot.

I've done some tests on my friends 3100, 3600, 3700x, with 4 dimms (mobo is B450M Steel Legend, very suck on ram oc before update) also mixed kit (with mine too) working on xmp speeds and the bios update and chipset update does provide a better compability, prolly should try it if it's working or not.

for running on XMP speed it's kinda tricky, you would need to set RTTNom at 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr at 3 (or 80ohm), and RTTPark at 1 to 4 (240 to 60 ohm, should do some memory stability test like kahru or TM5 with Absolut config) after enabling xmp. Those Skew/RTT control are sometimes the cause of XMP Speed instability, since mix and matching 2 kits, using the xmp meant for 2 pair of a kit only.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
the cpu itself sometimes causes it but if it's only jedec speed, it should be able to boot.

I've done some tests on my friends 3100, 3600, 3700x, with 4 dimms (mobo is B450M Steel Legend, very suck on ram oc before update) also mixed kit (with mine too) working on xmp speeds and the bios update and chipset update does provide a better compability, prolly should try it if it's working or not.

for running on XMP speed it's kinda tricky, you would need to set RTTNom at 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr at 3 (or 80ohm), and RTTPark at 1 to 4 (240 to 60 ohm, should do some memory stability test like kahru or TM5 with Absolut config) after enabling xmp. Those Skew/RTT control are sometimes the cause of XMP Speed instability, since mix and matching 2 kits, using the xmp meant for 2 pair of a kit only.
Yep. Most ppl have zero idea about Secondary or Tertiary timings, and getting those dialed in is a pain. Secondary aren't bad, there's a lot of forgiveness in many of those, but Tertiary are pure aggravation. Get just 1 out of whack and you'll be chasing ghosts.

It's prolly easier to get his 3600/16 down to 3200/14 and have no real loss in performance, and better OS stability.

Reactions: Koekieezz
Yep. Most ppl have zero idea about Secondary or Tertiary timings, and getting those dialed in is a pain. Secondary aren't bad, there's a lot of forgiveness in many of those, but Tertiary are pure aggravation. Get just 1 out of whack and you'll be chasing ghosts.

It's prolly easier to get his 3600/16 down to 3200/14 and have no real loss in performance, and better OS stability.
yup, agreed. atleast the RTT are the one who causes some probs in stability, i need some hours of testing and yup, RTT are the one who's going to help alot in stability XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.